Thread: Problems while playing videos on Macbook Air

Problems while playing videos on Macbook Air

Hello there, I have been using Mac systems for a while now and have never faced such problems with it before. I have Macbook Air which is working on Mac OS X snow leopard. The problem is when I try to watch videos on youtube, the playback is really slow and glitchy. Sometimes the problem arises while watching videos on Itunes also. I cant figure out what is causing the problem and hence need your help. So if anybody has Problems while playing videos on Macbook Air then please suggest some solutions about the same. Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems while playing videos on Macbook Air

Many of the problems which are faced in the Mac systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries get stored on the RAM. If the system memory gets flooded by such invalid entries then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore for the operating systems to run properly you will have to clear the invalid entries from the RAM. To perform the PRAM reset, Shut down the computer. Locate the following keys (Apple, Option, R and P). Press and hold the following keys while starting the computer. Keep the keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard. Once 3rd startup chime is heard release the keys and let the computer boot normally.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

There must be some processes running in background due to which the videos are lagging on the computer. For any process to run some CPU or memory is used. If lot of processes are running on the computer at the same time then the performance of the computer will degrade. Therefore before running the videos, open the activity monitor and check all the running processes. Terminate all the unwanted processes and then try to run the videos. Hopefully the videos will not lag when the unwanted processes are terminated.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

First check the link which is providing the bandwidth to the computer. If the link which is providing the bandwidth itself is faulty then you will not get the exact bandwidth. To watch online videos, net connection should be proper. Therefore I would suggest you to get the link checked by your Internet service provider. Meanwhile you can check the link on your own by visiting the websites like speedtest and pingtest which provide online tests which can be run on the link. After the tests are complete, the websites displays the result of the tests. Check the report and see if you are getting the exact speed which you have subscribed for.

For playing the online videos on the youtube, flash player needs to be installed on the browser. If the flash player installed on the browser is not working properly then the video playback would not be proper. Therefore check if the flash player which is installed on the browser is up to date. If the version of the flash player is outdated then try and upgrade the flash player version. You can also use some other latest browser to watch the videos and see if the playback is still laggy or not.

By looking at all the symptoms of the problem, I suspect that the issues which you are facing is due to heating of the computer. To run the online flash videos, the computational required is very high. Due to the high computing rate, lot of heat is generated by the computer. As the temperature of the CPU and GPU rises the performance of the computer degrades. Hence I will suggest you to check if the cooling fan of the Macbook is working properly or not. If the fan is covered with dust then try cleaning it as dust blocks the airflow.