Thread: Dell Inspiron 600m does not start

Dell Inspiron 600m does not start

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop which is installed with Windows Xp operating system. The laptop is about 4 years old. The laptop was working fine but now suddenly the laptop will not start. Whenever I try to boot the laptop, all the LED's on the panel glow and then nothing happens. I cant figure out what is causing the problem and hence need your help to solve the issue. Therefore if anybody knows why my Dell Inspiron 600m does not start then please share some valuable information about the same.

Re: Dell Inspiron 600m does not start

All the laptops face the problem with residual charge. The residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips. If such a situation occurs then the system is not able to access the RAM chips. If the system is not able to access the system RAM then it will not be able to load the operating system. Therefore to remove the residual charge from the laptop, shut down the laptop and disconnect it from the AC source. Remove the battery of the laptop. Press the power button of the laptop and keep it pressed for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, release the power button and let the laptop sit for a minute. After a minute, replace the battery and then try to start the laptop.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

If you can open the laptop then open the laptop and locate the battery (button cell) on the motherboard. Once the battery is located, remove the battery. Check the voltage across the battery using a Digital multimeter. The voltage of the battery should be between 2.5volts to 3volts. If the voltage of the battery is below 2.5 volts then the laptop will not boot and you will have to replace the battery of the laptop. Once the battery of the laptop is replaced the laptop will start without any problems.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Have you checked the main battery of the laptop? It is possible that the main battery of the laptop is not able to retain the charge and hence the laptop is not starting. If the battery itself is faulty then the laptop will not start at all. Remove the battery and then connect the laptop directly to the AC adapter and press the power button. If the laptop starts then the battery of the laptop is faulty due to which the laptop is not getting enough power to start. Try and get a replacement battery with same specifications as of the battery of the laptop and then see if the laptop works or not.

I think the Random access memory of your laptop has gone bad due to which you are not able to boot the laptop. If the RAM of the computer is faulty then the files which are required to load the operating system will not be copied on the RAM due to which the operating system will not get loaded. Open the laptop and then remove the RAM chips from their slots. Clean the connecting terminals of the RAM and then replace it back in the slot. If there are multiple RAM chips then try booting the computer using one RAM chip at a time. If for any particular RAM chip if the computer does not boot then discard the chip as it may be faulty.

The functions which are carried out by the computer are controlled by the motherboard of the computer. If the motherboard of the computer itself is faulty then the user will face similar problems like the one which you are facing. All the power functions are also controlled by motherboard. Therefore I suspect that the problem which you are facing is due to a faulty motherboard. Get the motherboard checked by some technician. If the motherboard is faulty then there is no other option than to replace it.