Thread: iMac will not start

iMac will not start

Hello,

Some friends gave me their iMac (PPC) unbootable . Having not yet received my PowerBook so I do not have an OSX CD ...

it stays on the apple loading , never bootup fully.

and sometimes "system failure" comes.

With the reboot, another text asking me to type "mac-boot" to boot the iMac but nothing was done . Is it serious issue?

Please HELP!

Re: iMac will not start

Ideally initially plug in Firewire target mode on another Mac if you did not already have a recent backup clone of (ESSENTIAL!) And clone (Carbon Copy Cloner is perfect for this) on an external drive formatted according to your computer (PPC or Intel). You will find everything on OS X Easy, Then boot the installation disk and try to repair its function using Disk Utility (menu bar). And reinstall and choose the option Archive and Install, then combo update. In principle, it is not too severe if there was no file damage.

You have not specified your model iMac.

If it is damaged, there is still a good chance that the internal drive is recoverable, and with your data. Booting into the Hardware Test disk that came with the installation disks or findable on the DVD for dernierts models tell thee more.

But buying an urgent external hard drive (Firewire if your Mac is PPC, if USB 2 is sufficient for Intel).

Hello,

If you bought your iMac into an Apple Store, take an appointment with a genius and they'll probably be able to remove your hard disk, play it on another mac and reformat your drive with your old data ... If you have not purchased your iMac in an Apple Store, trying to get information from your vendor if they offer a service data recovery ..

• Verify that the sector 220V is always present in the outlet by plugging such a lamp in the absence of a multimeter control.
    • If the plug is OK, check if the card is properly inserted in the socket and the back of the monitor.
    • If it's OK to press the power button for three seconds for 15 + seconds.
    • If it starts with DONG's go for OK
    • If nothing happens, call the HotLine APPLE (or possibly the seller).
    • If the iMac is under warranty, APPLE gives very efficient service.

So after trying to start his press Apple + S then you will come to the console. Tape then "fsck-y" look what happens. If you offer "fsck-f" then type the command it should repair permissions and solve some problems. Then you can type "reboot" to restart normally.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"