Thread: Mac Mini restarts when tried to shut down

Mac Mini restarts when tried to shut down

Hello there, I have been using Mac system for a while now but I have never faced such problems with it. I have recently bought a new Mac mini which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 on it. On this system I installed some applications and after installing these applications, whenever I try to shut down the mini, it restarts atleast once before restarting. This happens everytime I try to shut down the Mini. I cant figure out if the applications are causing the problem or it is an operating system issue. So if anybody is facing similar problem of Mac mini restarting while trying to shut down. Please help.

Re: Mac Mini restarts when tried to shut down

As you have bought the Mac mini recently, it must be under the 1 year Apple care. All the apple products come with 1 year warranty under which any problem faced by the user within this period is serviced for free. Therefore I would suggest you to take the Mac mini to the nearest apple care center and get it checked thoroughly by the technicians at the apple care. The technicians will check the Mini and will list all the problems which are faced by them while checking the Macmini. If there is any hardware to be replaced, it will be replaced for free.

I was also facing the same problem with my Macbook pro which had OS X 10.4 on it. It kept on restarting when it was tried to shut down. I searched online for the solution and finally found one which helped me. If you can open the Mini, open it and locate a button cell on the logic board. Take a digital multimeter and check the voltage across the battery. The voltage of the battery should be above 2.5 volts. If the battery voltage is less than 2.5 volts then you will have to replace the battery. Replacing the battery will solve the issue.

You have mentioned that the problem started after the installation of some applications therefore try to remove the applications and then see if the Mini works properly or not. It is possible that the installed applications must have corrupted some system files of the operating system and hence your mini is behaving weird. Removing the applications and deleting all the files and keychains related to it will solve the problem for sure.

The operating system on the Mac mini has got corrupt and hence needs to be reinstalled. If the operating system of the computer is not working properly then the system will not work properly. I think the files which are used by the system for safely shutting down the computers have corrupted or missing on the computer. Hence to solve the problem you will have to reinstall the operating system. Boot the system using the Install disk of the operating system which you are using and then do a clean install of the operating system with formatting the drive. Before starting the installation process you will have take the back up of the required data. After reinstalling the operating system, check if the Mini works properly or not.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

There is possible fault in the logic board of the Mac mini which you are using. All the basic operations of the systems such as booting and shutting down are controlled by logic board. If the logic board itself is faulty then the basic functions of the computer will get hamper. Hence get the logic board checked by some technician. If the logic board is found to be faulty then there is no solution than to replace the logic board of the Mac mini.