Thread: Desktop disappears on iBook

Desktop disappears on iBook

Hello friends, I have an iBook which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 on it. Recently I updated all the applications on the iBook to the latest version. After updating all the applications, The Desktop Disappears on Ibook. Whenever I am running any application or if the computer is kept Idle then the desktop disappears for few seconds and then comes back. When the system resumes all the content on the desktop is gone. There are no icons present on the desktop and if there is any application running then the application freezes. I cant figure what is causing this problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Also the written content in the browser disappears from time to time. Please help.

Re: Desktop disappears on iBook

Many of the problems in the Mac system are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries get stored in the RAM memory. If such invalid entries get stored in the RAM then it creates problems in smooth running of the operating system. Therefore it is necessary to delete such invalid entries if present on the RAM. To delete such invalid entries, PRAM reset is done.
    To do a PRAM reset, follow these steps :-
    1. Locate and find the following keys ( Apple, Option, R and P)
    2. Press and hold the keys while pressing the power button.
    3. Keep this buttons pressed till three startup chimes are heard.
    4. When 3rd chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.

I think the applications which you have updated are creating problems in proper working of the operating system. When the applications are updated the older files associated to it are replaced. If the files of the application which are linked to the files of the operating system are replaced the system does is not able to locate the file on the hard drive which may create problem in proper working of the operating system. Find and replace the files which are missing on the system. Replacing the files will solve the problem for sure.

Check the drivers installed for the graphic adapter if they are installed properly and are in working condition. If the drivers are not installed properly, then the device associated to it will not work properly. Hence check if the display drivers are installed and working properly. If the drivers are not installed or working properly then remove the installed drivers and then install fresh copy of the drivers. You can also try to update the installed drivers and then see if the desktop still disappears on the iBook or not.

You will have to install the operating system again on the iBook. The operating system on the ibook has got corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. The software updates that you have carried out must have corrupted the operating system. If you have the install disk of the operating system then insert in the drive and then boot the system from the install disk. Install the fresh copy of the operating system or select the install archive mode. In install archive mode you will be able to use the installed applications on the new operating system. But I would suggest that you install the operating system by formatting the drive as it would remove all the files due to which the corruption must have taken place.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"