Thread: How to enable APN on iPhone 3G

How to enable APN on iPhone 3G

From last two months i had been iPhone 3G. I would like too know that how can i enable APN on my iPhone 3G? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct way for enabling APN on my iPhone 3G. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How to enable APN on iPhone 3G

The APN data enables personalised access to your account through Planet 3 directly from your handset. The new iPhone firmware 2.x doesn’t allow users to edit the APN for some carriers. In the new iPhone 2.0 Apple gave service providers the ability to disable this setting so you’ll automatically connect to the Internet through their network and incur their data access fees.

It simply removes the test for testing for the tethering signature thus enabling tethering on your iPhone 3G/3GS on 3.1.2 firmware. This means even if you have an officially unlocked iPhone, you can’t access Internet if you are on the network of service providers who don’t allow editing the APN setting. If you can, then you will be able to edit the APN after you’ve unlocked your iPhone 3G. If you’ve already bought an iPhone 3G and can’t edit your APN settings, then you need to visit this website and unlock it manually.

I suggest you use PdaNet from Cydia on AT&T in the US. It’s not a problem if you bought your iPhone from the official carrier. It works on my 3gs phone. You can get video instructions on how to configure PdaNet with your computer by wifi or usb on Youtube. But if you’re using an unlocked iPhone with other carriers, you’ll need to edit the APN setting for connecting to the Internet.

First, connect to your iPhone using WinSCP for Windows or Cyberduck for Mac. Create a Profile and set the Profile Name to cbwifi (all lowercase). Set the SSID (or Network Name) to cbwifi (all lowercase). Navigate to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/.bundle. Here, refers to the carrier you’re using.

You will find the carrier.plist file in the folder under your operator name, for example mobinil: /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/mobinil_eg.bundleGenerally APN can be easily edited by going to Settings --> General --> Network --> Cellular Data Network. iPhone keeps everything about your operator in specific location, then if you can find the file, open it, you will be able to customize it as you wish.