Thread: Macbook Air connects to network but there is no internet connection

Macbook Air connects to network but there is no internet connection

I have a Macbook Air which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 on it. I have an Internet connection which is shared with 3 computers in my house. I connect to Internet using Wireless connection. I have a Linksys wireless router to which I connect the Macbook Air using Wifi. Other two computers on the network are running on Windows 7. The problem is Macbook Air connects to network but there is no internet connection. Is this due to Windows 7 computers? or Is there some other problem? Please help

Re: Macbook Air connects to network but there is no internet connection

I would suggest that you check the configuration of the network to which you are trying to connect. If the network is not configured properly then the devices connected to it will not be able to share all the resources properly. As you are able to connect to the network but your not able to access the Internet I think the problem is with configuration, check the network preferences of all the devices which are connected on the network and do the necessary changes in the configuration. Changing the configuration will surely help you in solving the problem.

All the Mac operating systems later to Mac OS X 10.4 do not support WAP encryption. If the network is using the WAP encryption then the Macbook will only be able to connect to the router without any connection to the Internet. The Operating systems later to 10.4 support only WEP encryption. Hence check the encryption of the network and change it to WEP. To change the encryption you will have to login to the router using the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser. The system will prompt for Username and password, enter the info correctly and you will be redirected to configuration page. Change the encryption if required and then see if the Macbook is able to connect to internet.

It is possible that the Airport Card of the Macbook is faulty and hence it is not able to access the Internet on the network. The Airport card in Macbook Air is mounted on the logic board and then connected to the logic board using connecting cable. If the connecting cable is not fixed properly, then certain problems are faced while connecting to the network devices. If the Macbook is under apple warranty then take it to the nearest apple service center and get it checked. If the Macbook is out of the warranty then open the Macbook and check if the cable to the Airport card is connected properly, if not then fix it properly and then check if you are able to connect to internet or not.

Change the IP version of the Mac operating system from IPv4 to IPv6. Default IP version of Windows 7 is Version 6 while the default IP version of Mac operating system is version 4. As there is mismatch between the version of the Internet protocols on the same network, the Macbook is not able to access Internet. Changing the version of either of the computers will solve the issue. The version of the Internet protocol should be same throughout the network. Hopefully changing the Internet protocol version will help in solving the issue.

It is possible that the DHCP on the router is not working properly and hence the Macbook is not able to access the Internet. DHCP is responsible for assigning IP addresses to the devices which are connected to the network wirelessly. If the DHCP is not working properly, then the devices which are connecting to the network will not be able to access the Internet. Login to the router and then disable the DHCP on the router. Once the DHCP is disabled, you will not be able to access the configuration of the router using Telnet. Now connect the router to the computer using Console cable and then enable the DHCP again. Also contact the ISP and get the proper MTU size and put the size of MTU in the network preferences of the Macbook. Reboot the router and then try to connect the Macbook to the Internet.