Thread: My gateway MX6957 centrino laptop won't turn on

My gateway MX6957 centrino laptop won't turn on

Hi,

I have a gateway MX6957 centrino laptop and the warranty of my laptop has expired so they want to charge me to fix it. The is problem that my gateway MX6957 centrino laptop won't turn on. Normally, the pc hangs at bios screen, it makes this wierd clicking noise and shuts down. Any suggestions?

Re: My gateway MX6957 centrino laptop won't turn on

Sometimes if the light does not light when the power supply is plugged in could mean a faulty motherboard or PSU in making the laptop. But it could also mean a faulty PSU. You can take it to a local repair shop and let the PC take a look. Most places do not charge for simple thing so just have a look.

I suspect that the clicking sound is the hard drive and the bad news is that it seems terminal, if you have something you want to try to restore from then I suggest you remove it from the laptop and connect to another PC and try to recover as much as possible . If there is anything you want on it then the only option is to replace the hard drive and then reinstall the operating system.

If computers stops the BIOS screen its normally due to a dead hard disk. Restart the system and press F10 to enter the BIOS and then click the driver settings, or something similar, all BIOS are different. If your hard disk is not present then it's likely dead. If you have access to another computer to download a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu, boot from that and see if it works, if not then the disk is definitely capita. In the case of the unit will not boot, you can also obtain a copy of Trinity Rescue, another Linux Live CD. I use this all the time to recover data off dead disk not boot.

Based on my experience with similar problems, the basics to do would be to start by disconnecting all power lead-ins for all devices and ribbon cables for the units. Then try to start when not connected, except the board. I've had teams do the same, but finally boot when disconnected from everything. Then you can reconnect things one at a time to see which device is causing the problem.

Sometimes, just reconnect the wires get everything running again. In this case, somewhere there was a loose connection it was sending mixed signals on the system in case with the power supply. You may need to reset the cmos which is done by moving a jumper near the battery that often but not always identified.