Thread: Blackberry Bold WLAN issue

Blackberry Bold WLAN issue

I have my home WLAN running WPA encryption, and the PCs are happy with it. When I try to connect my Blackberry Bold to the WLAN, I run into trouble. I'm trying to connect to my home network which has MAC and also WPA protection. The Bold seems to only accept a WEP number, not WPA. The device seems to only support WEP for manual connections. I've tried the push-button technique (where I put the BB into a listening mode and press a button on the router/WAP to initiate contact) to no avail, and can't figure out how to use the PIN method the BB seems to suggest exists. Does any body knows why i'm having Blackberry Bold WLAN issue? Can a Blackberry connect to a WLAN using stronger encryption than WEP in the first place? Please help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Blackberry Bold WLAN issue

You can probably use the PSK setting (Preshared Key) for WPA. Try a sort reset first (take the battery out and replace it) or a hard reset (but back everything up first!!)

Do not use WEP, it's completely broken. This is NOT working for me. I have a Linksys WRT350N router (a recent model). My iPhone supports WPA2 security. Why doesnt the Blackberry Bold support WPA2? This is outrageous. WPA2 is not very new.

WPA is an option. Just that RIM calls it PSK (Pre-Shared Key). It woks just fine on mine. Manage Connections -> Manually Add Network and follow the wizard: (1) Enter the SSID, (2) Choose the Security Option [PSK], (3) Enter the key, etc.

When you setup your wifi connection on your BB, you are given several options: WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc. It is failing to connect to the blackberry infastructure, not your router. The security protocol you select SHOULD match the protocol you already employ with you router (if this is a home network).

If your router supports WPS, that's the best way to go. If not, at least know that it can work on an 8320. Try going to options-->advanced-->host routing table. Go to wi-fi entry and click menu-->register now. There is an icon for SETUP once you press the Menu key (the key next to the green call button) and just use the trackball to scroll down till you find the SETUP icon. Click this icon and then you will be presented with more choices, one of which will be setup wifi.