Thread: Nokia N97 GPS issues

Nokia N97 GPS issues

I had been using Nokia N97 cell phone. I have got a bit of a problem that I was wondering if anybody out here could help with. I recently did a hard reset on my N97 with V1.2 and since then my GPS won't lock unto any sat links thus my maps is totally useless. So, can any body tell me that how do i resolve Nokia N97 GPS issues? Any one has any idea about it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Nokia N97 GPS issues

Have you gone into settings to see if AGPS and network are checked? First, with firmware v 1.1, the GPS took ages to get a lock, and when it did, it wasn't very accurate. If you do experience similar GPS problems and hard reset doesn’t fix it, I suggest trying to get a replacement from your retailer or bringing in to a Nokia Care Point.

AGPS is on but I have network turned off cause I thought that's for connection over the net and the whole idea is GPS. If you can't get a lock with only the internal GPS activated in the positioning methods, then maybe a nokia technician should have a look at the problem.

But if your problem is cannot get a GPS fix after many minutes, then it is the hidden pointer file in the phone private folder that got corrupted by other installations. It only uses a small amount of data to get a rough triangulation of your position so it can lock the GPS up quicker. Without using AGPS you may have to wait quite a considerable amount of time for the GPS to lock up.
    Try to remove applications that have been installed in the phone, then do a hard reset on your phone to reset it to device defaults (your latest firmware, either v12 or v20 will not be affected).

Some N97 owners find the integrated GPS doesn't perform as well as they'd like, so they've taken it upon themselves to render a proper fix. Turn the GPS Receiver on, go to Bluetooth settings on the N73, select New Paired Device, select the GPS device from the resulting list, enter a passcode if requested (the code will be in the instructions of the GPS device) then once paired, set the GPS device as Authorised.

Without installing new applications, try to test your GPS. Give it a few minutes to get the first GPS fix. This removal of other applications and hard reset usually work to correct the GPS. Not yet tried an external bluetooth to see if it’s a problem with using GPS data and not the integrated GPS, but even so, having to use an external bluetooth receiver is NOT AN OPTION. If you are having GPS issues, especially if its not holding a signal then take your handset to a Nokia Care Centre and they will fit a new shield under your warranty due to interference affecting the signals received from the satellites. It's possible I guess, but how would you explain the fact that some N97 users have no problems with Maps 3 (unless Nokia have been really silly and shipped different GPS hardware in some devices)? Certainly need improving for sure. Maps 3.1 has improved this slightly, and now getting a gps lock with the N97 in my hand, but the times on actually getting that gps lock varies from a couple of minutes, to upto 10 minutes, which is simply not good enough.