Thread: Does Tom Tom application work with GPS on Nokia N95 cellphone

Does Tom Tom application work with GPS on Nokia N95 cellphone

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to buy out a new Nokia N95 cellphone for my personal usage. I wanted to use Tom Tom application on Nokia N95 cellphone. So, before going for Nokia N95 cellphone, i would like to know that does Tom Tom application work with GPS on Nokia N95 cellphone? Any one knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Does Tom Tom application work with GPS on Nokia N95 cellphone

I don't think it'll recognise internal GPS equipment on the N95 yet. Unfortunately the TomTom application is not currently compatible with the internal gps. TomTom needs to release an updated version that does not assume an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. The good people at TomTom assure me that they are in the process of testing a solution right now and we can expect it shortly.

You can update your handset via NSU, back up phone data via PC suite first though. TomTom does not work with the internal GPS of N95. So to use TomTom, you still need a GPS receiver and connect through bluetooth, like any other S60 phone that doesn't have the internal GPS (N73/N80 etc).

Many people, including myself, are waiting for that patch that would make TomTom recognize N95's internal GPS, and get rid of the bluetooth GPS. For that you need to goto change preferences, then gps status, then other device, then choose binpda. Make sure you have gpsr running in the background. Also try getting your gps running in your phone applications before running tom tom to make sure that is working fine.

Its standard to have to plug any GPS device in, regardless of what it is (mobile, dedicated device etc). True, you can run it off battery but they all come with adaptors. TomTom will run completely indepedent of the Nokia software. You'll never know you had the Nokia maps program, and you'll never think about it again once you get TomTom running on your N95.

Normally when using gps for the first time or if it aint been used for a while you have to leave it on and running for a while so it can find all the gps satellites and you have to move about with it till it works. Basically you need Tom Tom Navigator 6 which you then install from the DVD for the Version in to your Micro SD memory card via your PC with a Card Reader. You then put the Micro SD Card back in the N95 switch it on and it will see the new App and install it for you.