Thread: Ovi maps issue on Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition

Ovi maps issue on Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition

I had recently purchased a new 5800 Navigation with pre-installed Nokia Maps 2.00 on it. However, i'm using the latest version, the free one. Now the problem is that Maps worked perfectly but when I try to open the location in map when viewing a calendar event, I am prompted a error message: "Calendar: Feature Not Supported". It can't seem to do anything offline. I can't seem to find an option to stop it from using my data package. I already have the maps loaded via Nokia's map loader. I am afraid to screw it up from the very beginning as I have read the crowd has some issues with the software/applications freezing/malfunctioning on the 5800N edition. Can any one tell me that what i need to do to resolve Ovi maps issue on Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition? Any one knows about it? Please help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Ovi maps issue on Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition

Ovi Maps is free of charge. However, fees may apply if you establish an internet connection to synchronise your compatible mobile device with Ovi Maps. Nokia always prefer you upgrading your Maps application to the newest version. However, the decision still would come from you if you want to stick with 2.0 or 3.0. It shows you where you are, what's around you, and gives you the local knowledge to find what you need. Contact your network service provider for information about data transmission charges. Ovi Maps for mobile is always with you in over 180 countries worldwide.

You cannot currently access Ovi Maps through the browser on your mobile device, but you can synchronise places and routes from Ovi Maps with your compatible mobile device. If you have updated from Nokia Maps v2.0 to OVI Maps v3 try deleting E:\Cities and .qf file from memory card, re-run OVI Maps application once to define necessary folder structure and try downloading regional maps again.

As you have mentioned, there are negative reviews about the newer version(3.0) when it comes to functionality and stuff. Nokia released a new version of Ovi Maps that allowed free turn-by-turn navigation for cellphones with an embedded GPS. If you preload the map data on your compatible Nokia device with Map Loader, you can also use all these features and services offline.

I have noticed that if I go to the Download Maps page and I have to choose "My device", 5800XM only shows up. I think this issue has something specific with Ovi Maps as any other application (Internet, Ovi Store, etc) trying to go online asks me what to use - WLAN, GPRS or WAP. Does it mean that for 5800N it is not suited/adapted/modified/tweaked just yet? If you find 2.0 behavior better, then I would suggest that you stick with the 2.0. Otherwise, go to 3.0 and enjoy the advantages it offers like a bigger coverage for licenses.

Your Nokia detects your real life location via GPS/A-GPS or network positioning. You only need the licence to use the voice-guided navigation, City Ecplorer, etc. and you should get a trial with a new phone so you shouldn't need to buy straight away. You may share the street address you are at or a meaningful place from the nearby points of interest (POIs) or a favorite place saved on your Maps. However, you do need access to the internet to activate the licence because it needs to connect to an online server to process the activation, and since the 6760 doesn't have WLAN you will need data access from your network operator to do that bit.