Thread: Is Nokia map free with GPS functionality for Nokia N95 handset

Is Nokia map free with GPS functionality for Nokia N95 handset

Hello Friends,

I'm using Nokia N95 handset for my personal usage. I would like to know that is Nokia map free with GPS functionality for Nokia N95 handset? Does any one have any idea about it? Kindly provide me the correct information of the above issue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is Nokia map free with GPS functionality for Nokia N95 handset

According to my best of knowledge, yes mapping and route planning would be available free, but turn by turn voice navigation will be a premium service. Location is via any Bluetooth GPS. The Nokia N95 (N95-1, internally known as RM-159) is a smartphone produced by Nokia as part of their Nseries line of portable devices.

A Bluetooth GPS will be needed for positioning for those devices without a GPS built in. The N95 runs Symbian OS v9.2, with a S60 3rd Edition user interface. Mapping and routing is available in over 100 countries with turn by turn navigation (at street level) available in 30 countries. Mapping can be downloaded over the air from a remote server or cross loaded from a PC. The application includes the ability to search by address (including postcode), view by category (nearest point of interest) and plan routes (show directions).

It runs the latest version of the S60 software platform ( S60 3rd Edition P1 ). This means a new version of the S60 browser, a better RSS application, Flash Lite and more. Maps is a free world mapping application for Nokia mobile phones, the application is basically free but require monthly subscription to enable features like Turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation, Door-to-door pedestrian navigation, travel guides, and traffic information with smart automatic re-routing. It's all powered by a thumping ARM11 OMAP 2420 processor running at 330 MHz.

Nokia had announced that users of other select S60 and Windows Mobile 5.0 devices can now also download maps over-the-air for free when they are connected wirelessly. Nokia will pre-install Nokia Maps in new Nseries devices and the software will be available as a free download (Smart2Go) for existing S60 devices.

Current owners of Nokia devices may also download Nokia Maps to their supported devices. The costs vary depending on how long you want to activate it for, and I'm sure it'll vary depending on the country etc. Nokia plans to pre-install the smart2go mapping and navigation application on all future Nokia Nseries multimedia computers under the name “Nokia Maps”. smart2go is a hybrid map solution: Map data from Tele-Atlas and Navteq can be downloaded directly via wireless network (e.g. GPRS/3G/WLAN) and stored on the devices memory card as needed. And now, by paring your non-GPS enabled mobile device with a Nokia Wireless GPS Module LD-3W or other compatible GPS module, Nokia Maps can provide the same fantastic navigation experience for a broad range of Nokia devices.