Thread: iTunes keeps opening and playing music itself

iTunes keeps opening and playing music itself

Ever since the recent updates of iTunes (7.4.2) my iTunes, iTunes keeps opening and plays music itself. I close it and then 30 seconds later it opens and start playing music automatically. So, can any body tell me that why does my iTunes keeps opening and playing music itself? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: iTunes keeps opening and playing music itself

That's normally a common culprit. Do you have a iPod devise plugged into the computer? It's probably an iTunes-related widget or third-party application. Do you use the iTunes Dashboard widget?

Have you got any widgets on the dashboard that use iTunes? Does it open when you first turn on the computer or a little while after you try to quit it? Make absolutely sure the iTunes Dashboard widget is in stop/off mode.

Are you sure there is no script in the autorun section that could start it? And iCal events? I would recommend just uninstalling iTunes, and if you use it often, try deleting the personal settings or application data or whatever along with it, and do a clean install.

iTunes helper doesn't start iTunes at boot, it starts iTunes whenever it detects an iPod. If you use the remote after quitting itunes it turns it back on. But just using dashboard shouldn't do that. To be sure turn off the remote and try again. A possible solution would be to do repair disk permissions. Go into Apps, into Utilities, open Disk utility, click your hard drive on the left, then click repair disk permissions. Wait about 10-30 minutes and restart the computer when done.

If you have it set so iTunes opens when you connect your iPod, then it'll keep on re-opening even after you've closed it while your iPod is connected. Pressing the play button on your keyboard or Apple Remote will cause iTunes to open. If that still doesn't work, then you need to some more drastic edits. Go into your user/home folder, into library, into preferences, scroll down and find all the files that have itunes in the name. Now quit itunes and then quickly MOVE the files to the desktop. These are your preferences and settings for itunes. If Itunes reopens, you'll just need to reinstall itunes.