Thread: eMac PowerPC freezes intermittently

eMac PowerPC freezes intermittently

I have an eMac PowerPC which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5.8 on it. The Computer was really working fine for all this days but now suddenly the Computer freezes intermittently. If I boot the system, it works fine for some time then it suddenly freezes and I am not allowed to do anything. So if anybody else is facing the same problem with eMac PowerPC freezing then please share some information/solution about it. Is it an operating system failure or some hardware failure?

Re: eMac PowerPC freezes intermittently

Many of the problems related to the Mac systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. The system memory of the computer is limited. It gets used up while running some applications. If the system memory gets full then the operating system freezes. Hence to delete the some entries, PRAM reset is done. To perform a PRAM reset, follow this steps :-
    1. Locate and find these keys (Apple, Option, R and P)
    2. Press and hold the keys while booting the operating system.
    3. Keep these keys pressed till three startup tones are heard.
    4. Once the 3rd tone is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally. Do this and tell me if it works.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I think there are some background processes running which are responsible for the operating system getting stuck. Open the apple menu and then select the Activity monitor. Once the Activity monitor opens, check all the processes which are running on the computer. Try to terminate the processes which are unwanted. Terminate the processes with most memory and CPU usage and then see if the system freezes or not. Do not terminate the processes which are required by the operating system to run as it may lead to system restart.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

By looking at the problem it seems like it is an operating system failure. For the computer to work smoothly, the operating system of the computer should function properly. If the operating system is corrupt then the system will not work properly. If you have the install disk of the operating system which you have installed, then insert the disk in the drive and boot the system from the drive. Either repair the installation or install a fresh copy of the operating system. Once the operating system is installed again, there will be no freezing problem in the system.

I am also using an eMac power PC and I am facing the same problem as the one you are facing. I dont think its a operating system issue as my PowerPC is installed with OS X Tiger. The problem is related to some hardware failure but I am not sure due to which. As my PowerPc is out of the Apple care, I am not taking it to the service center as they would charge a bomb just to check the computer. So if any of you guyz know the root cause of this problem please let us know.

The problem you people are facing with the eMac powerPc is not related to any software failure but to the GPU of the powerPC. The GPU of the PowerPC shuts itself down due to overheating and hence causes the System to freeze. If the GPU stops working then the system will not be able to display anything. If ypu can open the cabinet, then open and check if the GPU is covered with any dust. Clean the dust and check the Cooling fan if it is working properly or not. Also try to add an extra cooling fan in the cabinet, if the PSU and the cabinet allow it. If cleaning and adding extra cooling fan does not help then you will have to replace the logic board of the Power PC as it is only solution remaining.