Thread: Dell Latitude D610 power adapter issues

Dell Latitude D610 power adapter issues

I have a Dell Latitude D610, which takes both PA-10 and PA-12 adapters. It seems to have a few problems that I can identify power adapter issues (common for this thing from what I have been reading). The error message while you boot the system is: "The AC Power Adapter type cannot be determined. I have tried several (used) adapters of both kinds. Is it possible that all these adapters are bad? I can't charge my battery on my laptop? so, can any body tell me that what i need to d to resolve Dell Latitude D610 power adapter issues? Does any body knows about it? Please help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Dell Latitude D610 power adapter issues

It sounds like either the adapter or the power circuit on the laptop motherboard is bad. Plugging the same adapter into an identical DELL D610 during startup produces the exact same message. This indicates the problem is probably within the DELL AC Power adapter. If you had a known-working adapter of the right type you could easily find out where the problem is.

As the laptop ac adapter is regularly coiled and then uncoiled during transportation the flexing of the wiring itself can lead to stress fatigue. It seems that Dell power adapters have a terrible reputation of breaking. It seems the wire on the inside fray and break, causing problems with the adapter and charging process.

You should not take out the battery when the changer is connected. This may damage your screen. Does the green LED on the power adapter light up when it is connected to the mains? Check if you can charge the battery when you plug the charger.

Unfortunately, the LED going out only when you connect to the laptop normally indicates the worst case: a faulty motherboard. Did you take the battery out and then try? Sometimes if the battery itself is bad taking the battery out and then plugging in the laptop works. Try the adapter with another machine if possible; if it's fine on another machine, then it it more than likely to be time for a new motherboard.

Power-down, remove battery, hold down the On/Off button for more than 10 seconds. The heart of a laptop computer is the battery, which acts as the power source when the laptop is not plugged into an electrical outlet. Check the power leads - specially coming out of the AC adapter, fix if possible. Slowly turn the plug into the jack at the back of the laptop, see if it charges again. Power-on, after the BIOS message, unplug jack, press F1 and immediately replug jack. Update the BIOS (use with caution - power failure during BIOS update is fatal).