Thread: Internet Issue with Ibook g4

Internet Issue with Ibook g4

Hello there, I have an iBook G4 which is installed with OSX 10.5.8 on it. I access the internet using a cable modem and Airport Extreme base station. Recently the Ibook stopped connecting to Internet. Whenever I try to connect to internet, the Ibook displays message saying that the Airport has self assigned IP address. As I am not very versed with networking, I cant figure what could have caused this problem. So if anybody has any idea about this issue please share some knowledge.

Re: Internet Issue with Ibook g4

Have you checked the configuration of the network you are using. Many times it happens that the devices are not able to connect to preconfigured network. This happens due to changes in the configuration of the network which prevents the devices from connecting to the network. The only way to solve this type of problem is to revert the changes in the configuration so that it works properly. Check the configuration of each of the devices which are connected and then revert the changes in the configuration if any.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

The iBook is not able to see the router or the Airport base station that is why it is assigning itself some random IP address. Either the Router or the Airport base station is not working properly and hence the ibook is not able to see them. Check both the router and the Airport base station for proper working. Restart both the router and the Airport base station and see if the ibook is able to connect to the network or not. If restarting does not help then try resetting the router and the Airport base station to factory settings and see if it helps.

Contact the Internet service provider and get a static IP for the ibook you want to connect. It is possible that the DHCP is not able to assign any IP address to the ibook from the pool of IP addresses which is preventing the iBook from connecting to the network. Configuring the IP address manually will make the computer a permanent device connected to the network. Once the static IP is received from the ISP, open the system preferences and then open Network preferences. Go to advanced tab and enter the IP address provided by the ISP. After configuring, save the settings and restart the computer and then try to connect to network. Hope it works.

The Airport card of the iBook is faulty I think and is creating problem. The Airport card is mounted on the Logic board and then connected to the logic board using a connecting cable. If the connecting cable is not fixed properly then the Airport card does not work properly. If the Airport card does not work properly, it does not detect any devices and hence IP address gets self assigned. If you can open the iBook and check if the connecting cord is connected properly or not. If the cord is not connected properly fix it and then try to connect it to network. One simple way to test the Airport card is to check if the Bluetooth is working properly or not as bluetooth chip is also fixed on the Airport card.

It can be an operating system issue which can only be solved if by either reinstalling the operating system or by getting the operating system updated. If you have the Installation disk of the operating system you are using then Insert in the drive and then boot the system from the installation disk. Now select to install a fresh copy of the operating system or to repair the operating system. You can select the install/archive mode so that the applications which are installed on the previous operating system can be used without any problems. If you dont want to install the fresh copy of the operating system, then update the current operating system. Updating the operating system will solve the problem for sure.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"