Thread: Macbook Air does not start

Macbook Air does not start

I have recently bought a Macbook Air which is installed with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Now I am not able to start the Macbook Air. Whenever the Power button is pressed, the start up chime is heard then the Grey apple logo is seen and then after for loading for some time the system shut itself down. I tried to boot the system many times but same thing happens. I cant figure what the problem is and hence need your help in solving the Issue. Is this some kind of operating system failure? Or is it due to some hardware failure?

Re: Macbook Air does not start

Many of the problems related to Mac systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometime it happens that the system memory gets full with invalid entries. While booting process the system first checks the system memory. If there are invalid entries in the RAM then the system will not boot. Hence we need to clear the invalid entries from the Ram to successfully boot the system. To perform the PRAM reset follow these steps :-
    1) Locate and find the following keys (Apple, Option, R and P)
    2) Now press and hold the following keys while the system is booting.
    3) Keep these keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard.
    4) As soon as the 3rd startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.

Apple systems have a built in diagnosis mode known as Single user mode and Verbose mode. I would suggest that you try to boot the system in Single user mode or Verbose mode. To boot the system in Single user mode or Verbose mode, Shut down the computer. Now turn on the computer and press the apple key along with S or V. Press S to boot the system in single user mode or Press V to boot the system in Verbose mode. In Verbose mode the system will detect if there are any problems with the peripherals connected and will show the respective errors. Verbose mode will exit directly after the diagnosis is complete. To exit the Single user mode, you will have to type Reboot and then hit Return.

I think there is some problem with the operating system which is installed on your Macbook Air. For the system to boot it is necessary that the hard disk should contain the operating system. If the operating system is missing on the system, then system will not boot and will display the Apple logo. If you have the install disk of the operating system you are using then Insert it in the drive and boot the system from the install disk. The installer will start the installation procedure of the operating system. You can either repair the existing operating system or you can install a fresh copy of the operating system. You can also choose to install the operating system in install/archive mode which will enable you to use the applications installed on the previous operating system on the new operating system.

I think the hard drive of the Macbook Air has gone bad and is creating problems while booting of the system. The operating system is installed on the hard drive of the computer. If the hard drive itself is faulty then the system will not be able to boot the operating system. To check if the hard drive of your system is faulty or not, run the apple hardware test. To run the hardware test on the Macbook Air. First shut down the computer and then disconnect all the external devices except the AC power adapter. Now while booting the system, press and hold the D key. Now the Apple hardware chooser test menu will be shown. Select the Language you want and then proceed. Now follow all the onscreen instructions and complete the procedure. Once the procedure is complete, the wizard will show all the errors which the system has faced.

As the Macbook is new, I would suggest you to take the Macbook to the authorized apple service center and get it checked. New apple products come with 1 year apple care warranty and hence the servicing is free for the products till 1 year. The technicians at the apple center will check the Macbook thoroughly and inform you about the defects. If there is some hardware to be replaced, it will be replaced for free.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"