Thread: How many pixels needed to approximate 35-36mm film?

How many pixels needed to approximate 35-36mm film?

I am intermediate photographer. I use the Sony cybershot digital camera for photography. Actually there is one query, which i need get solve. I know there is mostly lots of factors here, but one of it is "how long is a piece of string". But as a ball park figure, can anybody over here tell me how many pixels you need to equal the resolution of 35-36mm film, and especially in regard to the enlargements?

Re: How many pixels needed to approximate 35-36mm film?

I think this a type of controversial question as well as there are many possible and meaningful answers to it . According to me, Film is an totally an analog medium, so it does not has 'pixels' per section, but film scanners may has pixels and a specific resolution. MY simple in short answer would be there around 18 million "quality pixels" in a top-quality 35-36mm shot. Hope your problem gets solve soon.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Recently i had talk with friend about this same matter and he told me that if DI reaches 9 million pixel it will have the same quality then a fine grain 35 mm film, by assuming Velvia. This is what he thinks, not myself. Is this true? I also does not want's to start a DI-traditional photography war here. Actually, is this true statement by my friend, that's what i want to verify it. Somebody do tell this true or not?

This very tough question to answer, because no one can give the exact answer to this question and you should also have mentioned how megapixel camera you will use. My short sweet answer would be that a modern 24MP Digital SLR offers nearly the similar level of resolution as a good film scanned in a modern minilab. Ken Rockwell has tested the Nikon D3X to this effect. Hope you problem get fix.

I would give long answer for this question, hope you will understand it. The answer is that to work out with the maximum theoretical resolution of film is not that tough; check or read the manufacturers document this for their films. I think it is measured in lines per millimeter (L/mm), and each/every 1 of this is nearly equal to 2pixels in one direction. So, i would say that all we have to do is multiply the width of the film (in mm) by the L/mm figure, and then do multiplication of it by two. Do same procedure for the height, and there you will need the maximum resolution at which a film shot in perfect conditions, and can be scanned, without interpolation.
    e.g ((lpm * 35 * 2) * (lpm * 23 * 2)) / 1000000

The answer to this question depends on how much big/large you want your prints to be. The megapixel(MP) will be able to calculate that how much big/large your pictures/images can be printed before the print quality starts to degrade. Thus if you want to make a poster size prints you will need over 10-12MP. But most simple-pocket camera user's will be willing to make 6x4 inch or 7x5 inch card prints and does not really need or use all the surplus mega pixels. Hope you get prefect solution to your problem.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"