Thread: How to Sync Macbook Pro with iMac?

How to Sync Macbook Pro with iMac?

Hello there, I have been using iMac for a while now which is running on Mac OS X 10.4. Recently I bought a Macbook Pro which is preinstalled with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I want to transfer all the data from the iMac to the New Macbook pro as I want to make the data on the iMac reduntant. Also I want to know How to sync Macbook Pro with iMac? I want to sync all the entries of the address book and the iCal from iMac to Macbook pro. Please let me know If there are any applications which are available to sync the address book and iCal and to transfer the data from iMac to Macbook pro.
    Last edited by Paulino; 11-01-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Re: How to Sync Macbook Pro with iMac?

You do not require any software or application to transfer data from iMac to Macbook pro. You can transfer the data directly from iMac to Macbook pro using Wireless or Wired communication. If both the iMac and Macbook pro support wireless connectivity, then enable it on both the system. Now create a new private wireless network on your iMac. Now search for the all the available network on the Macbook Pro. Once the network created by iMac is visible, select and connect to it. Once both the system are connected, share the data you want to transfer from iMac to Macbook. Now you can simply copy paste the data from iMac to Macbook pro.

Wired communication will be far more useful and easy to implement in your case. The problem with wireless communication in transferring the large amount of data is a slow speed of data transfer. You can transfer large amount of data at a high speed with wired communication. You will require a cross cable to connect both the computers. Cross cable is an Ethernet cable which has all the color code reversed at the both the ends. Once both the computers are connected using a cross cable, go to system preferences and configure the LAN settings. Give the IP addresses to both the computer which belong to the same subnet. Put default gateway as 1.1.1.1 on both the computers. Now share the data you want to transfer and simply copy from the source and paste it on the destination.

To sync the any information on the MAC systems there are no. of applications available. To synchronize songs and video files from one Mac system to other Mac system, you can use Itunes application. Create only 1 itunes account. Install iTunes on both iMac and the Macbook pro. Now activate the Itunes on both system using same Itunes account. Once the Itunes on both the system is activated using Same Itunes account, you will be able to sync all the media files from iMac to Macbook and from Macbook to iMac.

ChronoSync is one of the application which you can use to sync the information between two Mac system. ChronoSync is the complete data management utility that allows you to efficiently synchronize or backup files and folders from one disk location to another. There are many features available on ChronoSync which you can use to create your own Synchronizing strategies. You can customize the settings to get backup of the data in the event of system failure. You can also create a bootable backup which will enable you to boot the system from the backup.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Instead of ChronoSync you can also use Chronoagent to sync the information between the two mac system. ChronoAgent is much faster in synchronizing data between the two MAC's than the Chronosync. By using Chronoagent you can get a complete access of the destination Mac which is not possible with Chronosync. It can also synchronize the Mac with Mac servers which is not possible with chronosync.

Chronosync may be not bad, but it is paid. Why to pay for that options, which other tools are offering for free? I'm currently using SyncMate, it offers Contacts and iCal synchronization between your Macs in free edition. Expert Edition offers additional options but as I need iCal and AddressBook sync only, free version is o'k for me. Btw, this tool may sync your Mac with other devices - for ex. - mobile phones, Windows computers, PSP handheld, Google and so on.