Thread: Intermittent freezing on MacBookPro

Intermittent freezing on MacBookPro

I have a MacBookPro which is installed with a MAC OS X Snow leopard. It was working fine but all of sudden it has developed problem with screen freezing. Whenever i any application is used to watch videos or to listen songs then screen gets freezed for about 10 seconds and then the operation resumes again. The Specifications of the MacbookPro is 2Ghz processor and 1gb ram. I cant figure what is causing the Intermittent Freezing in Macbook Pro and hence need someone to solve this problem. Will operating system update help in solving this problem?

Re: Intermittent freezing on MacBookPro

Which application are you using to watch videos and to listen songs. It is possible that the application which you are using is having some problems and hence the system is freezing when the application is used for watching videos or to listen songs. Try using some other application to watch videos and to listen songs and see if the system still gets freezed. If not then the application which is used is corrupt and needs to be uninstalled. You can also try to update the application and see if the problem is solved or not.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I think there are must be some processes running in the background which is causing the freezing of the system. If there are lot of processes running in the background then the CPU and the RAM usage is maximum. If the CPU and RAM usage is maximum, then it is not possible for the system to process a new application smoothly and hence Intermittent freezing occurs. While watching videos or while playing songs make sure that no processes are running in background. You can terminate all the unwanted processes and then see if the system freezes while watching videos or not.

The application which you are using to watch videos and to listen songs is not properly coded may be and is causing memory leakage. If the application is not coded properly it causes memory leakage which degrades the performance of the system. Memory leakage means taking up lots of memory while running the application. You can check the amount of memory taken by all the processors by Going to system preferences and then running Activity monitor. Check which application is taking up all the memory and terminate it. Once terminated check if the system freezes while running any application.

A PRAM reset might help in your case. If all the RAM memory is getting used up the system performance of the system degrades. The RAM memory gets used up if there are invalid entries in it which are not being cleared on start up. Hence to clear this invalid entries we have to perform a PRAM reset which will clear all the invalid entries from the RAM. To perform a PRAM reset, you will have to first locate all these buttons on the keyboard, Apple, Option, R and P. Now while starting up the PC, press and hold these buttons. Keep this buttons holding till three start up chimes are heard. Once the 3rd star up chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally. Hopefully the problem will be solved by the PRAM reset.

Modern day laptops come with all kinds of energy saving feature. Check the power saving options as I think that the hard disk is going in to power saving mode while watching videos and while listening to songs. If the hard disk goes in to power saving mode, it causes the system to freeze momentarily as it is not able to read data from the hard drive. Go to system preferences and check the power saving options of the system. If the power saving options are properly configured then I fear that either the logic board or the hard drive needs to be replaced. You can also try to update the operating system before giving the logic board or the hard drive for replacement.