Thread: How to use MacbookPro in Close lid Mode?

How to use MacbookPro in Close lid Mode?

I already have a Macbook Pro and a Ibook which are installed with MAC OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.6 respectively. I have to give a presentation and that why i need to connect a external projector to my Macbook pro or Ibook. That is why i want to know how to use Macbook pro in close lid mode. I tried searching for the topic but did not get any relevant information on the topic. So if any of guys know how to use the Mac laptops in close lid mode, please let me know.

Re: How to use MacbookPro in Close lid Mode?

The mode in which you want your Mac laptops is known as Closed clamshell or Closed display mode and not as Close lid mode. All the latest Mac laptops support the Closed Clamp shell mode. In Closed clamp shell mode the user is allowed to access the resources of the laptop when the internal screen of the laptop is turned off which is not possible otherwise. The laptops which support closed clamp shell mode are Macbook, Macbook Pro and Macbook air. The closed clamp shell mode is not supported in Ibook and hence should be not tried to be implemented on it.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

It is not advisable to use the Close display mode in Macbook pro as it generates more heat. Ideally when the Display lid is closed the laptop is in power down mode. But when the Close display mode is activated on the Macbook and the display lid is closed, the laptop is still working and will generate heat. As the display Lid is closed, there is no space from where the heat can be escaped hence the laptop gets heated which is not good. Hence avoid the use of close display mode in Macbook pro to avoid shortening life of the laptop.

To enable the Close clamp shell mode in Macbook pro you will need an external keyboard and an external mouse. If you have an External USB keyboard and USB mouse, then plug it in the Macbook Pro, Now connect the external Display device to appropriate port on the MACbook pro while the laptop is on. Now turn on the display device and see if the desktop of the laptop is visible on it or not. When the display device shows the desktop of the laptop, close the display lid of the Macbook Pro. Now the laptop will go in to sleep mode. Wake the Computer by clicking or pressing the keys on the external keyboard or external mouse.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

The Close display mode can be activated by using a external wireless keyboard and external wireless mouse. You just need to have an bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard for activating the Close lid mode. Turn on the Bluetooth on the Laptop and check the status in system pane. Now turn on the bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse. Now search the available devices and pair with the devices found. Now connect the external display device and see if the desktop of laptop is visible on it. Once the desktop is visible, close the display lid of the laptop. Now wake the computer up by hitting Return on the keyboard.

The Closed lid mode or the close display mode only works on the laptop if it is connected to an external power source. If the laptop is taking power only from the battery then the laptop cannot be put into closed display mode. Also while using bluetooth keyboard and mouse to put the laptop in Closed lid mode, certain system performances need to be changed. In the System preferences, check mark the option which says "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer". If this option is not check marked then the bluetooth keyboard and mouse will not be able to wake the computer up from the sleep mode. When you are finished using the Closed Lid mode, the internal display will not work unless the external display is properly removed. To remove the external display, put the computer to sleep mode and then unplug the display.