Thread: Alienware M17x Laptop Display Issues

Alienware M17x Laptop Display Issues

I recently bought a new Alienware M17x Laptop and have already encountered some issues with the display. The computer will turn on however, the screen won't turn on and it seems as if nothing is loading. I have left my laptop running and closed the screen, when I go back to use my laptop and re-open the screen my computer turns on and the screen just stay’s black, even after I mess around with the mouse and try clicking a few buttons. Is there something wrong with the screen? How do i resolve my Alienware M17x Laptop M17x display issues? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Alienware M17x Laptop Display Issues

The problem is often intermittent at first - eventually the display will be black or very very dim all the time. This usually happens with older monitors that can't broadcast their type via Plug and Play info. It features a stealthy design, aluminum chassis, and a customizable lighting system. The M17x is Alienware's flagship gaming notebook.

Just simply press FN + F7 and that will switch to your dedicated GPU(s).Press F8 repeatedly while booting just like you do to go into Safe mode, but choose Enable VGA mode from the menu instead of Safe mode (you may not get a display in Safe mode either with some monitors / some video chipset drivers).

Laptops have several third party controllers so it is a possibility this is your problem. I would suspect the inverter, or the cable connecting it to the motherboard because of the opening and closing of the lid. They list the drivers in a odd way, make sure you get the newest one for each item. You could also do a visual inspection of the inverter. Sometimes the solder connections get cracked, especially from a fall, and flexing it slightly will allow them to make contact. Updates from other software programs, even xp cause glitches with the original versions of what came with your laptop.

Call Alienware and find out what there replacement policy is. They also have very good technical support and toll free numbers. On the communications link on the link above you can find several ways to contact them. Dell has a 21 day return policy. Not sure what Alienware has, but I would look into it before it is to late.

Not likely its software related as no software is loaded when you first power on your computer, with the exception of BIOS. If your applications function of this external monitor you can simply go LCD screen repair and you can be sure that you will be able to recover your data. Given that, check if there's a BIOS update for your system. If the lid switch is working fine, then you may need to replace your display.

Send me a close up picture of you inverter and the lcd wire. Both sides. I maybe able to help you.