Thread: Western Digital External Hard Drive Issues.?!

Western Digital External Hard Drive Issues.?!

I am having the external hard drive of Western Digital 250 GB. I use this hard drive very frequently. Till yesterday I was able to use my hard disk properly. Then onwards whenever I click on the any file or folder from the hard disk, it redirects me to the desktop and the Window of external hard drive gets closed by itself. I am using Windows XP as my operating system. I have never face such problem before. I have no idea what has caused this.? I just wanted to transfer some movies that I downloaded from Internet at my friend's place. I am not able to use my hard drive now. Please help me to sort out this problem..
    Last edited by NIcaBoy; 30-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Re: Western Digital External Hard Drive Issues.?!

I think that there is no problem with your operating system. The problem is residing in the WD External Hard Drive. I think that your external HD is infected by the Virus. This might have happened when you copied the movie from the friend's machine. At that time the Virus might have entered in your HD. According to me scan your Hard Drive by updated Anti Virus. Scanning the hard drive will solve your issue.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Even i had faced the similar problem. Whenever I tried to open from my External hard disk the Windows of that disk closed by itself and that directed me on the desktop. For few seconds the Icons on the desktop were not seen. Later on I came to know that was happening since my external drive was infected by Worms and Trojans (kind of virus). I scanned the hard drive and then onwards I can use it normally. Hope this will help you too...

If scanning is not fixing your problem then try to format your external hard drive. The only thing is that you will lose your data. If there is anything important then I would recommend you to scan your HD for several times with the latest updates. And if there is no important data you can format your external hard drive. Formatting will solve the issue for sure.

If you are formatting your hard drive then try to do Low-level formatting. When you do the low level formatting the hard drive gets cleaned as it was when you purchased without having any traces of the data. You can download the software that allows the low-level formatting of your hard disk. Once you download the software, install it in your system and then Run it. Then attach the External Hard drive and give the specific path in the software. That software will start the low-level formatting. Make sure that you are giving the right path. Once the low-level formatting is completed, you can use your hard drive normally as you were using it previously.

The issue that you mentioned occurs mostly because of malware and the Virus. Scanning is the best option because the Virus might have entered in your system. And they can infect your operating system files in future also. So do the scanning as soon as possible by the latest anti virus.