Thread: Battery problem in DELL Latitude D410

Battery problem in DELL Latitude D410

I have DELL Latitude D410 laptop, the power management window shows 2 icons of batteries and it says NOT INSTALLED". BUT the battery is installed and charges and operates the laptop. But since it does not recognize the battery it does not show state of charge or give a low battery warning. I checked the BIOS and it also shows "BATTERY NOT INSTALLED" this first case and another case is that sometime battery is not charging also . Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
    Last edited by Ethan Balboski; 24-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Re: Battery problem in DELL Latitude D410

I cant tell you what's happening in first case but can tell some solution for second case, of battery not charging. I would suggest is to make sure the AC Adapter is working properly, have it tested with a volt meter to make sure its output is the proper voltage and constant. If this is OK, then check on the bottom of the laptop, make sure the adapter your using is the right one your laptop requires, it should say on a sticker what volts and amps it needs.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I would suggest you to go through following steps, which can solve your problem:
    1] Avoid frequent demolition of the battery, which will decrease the life of
    Dell Latitude D410 Battery.
    2] Avoid load and unload of the battery when connecting the
    laptop ac adapter, this will lead to direct burn Dell laptop battery.
    3] Do not mix the Dell Latitude D410 battery with coins, keychain and
    other metal objects in order to avoid short-circuit.
    4] Avoid impact of the battery or using sharp objects hit the Dell battery.
    5] Bad charger will damage the Dell Latitude D410, please always prefer
    to use reliable charger.
    Hope this could fix your problem.

I am also having the same battery problem. I have DELL Latitude D630. I am using it for last 6months and now i am having problem with battery. The battery is sometime not able charge nor it is detected by BIOS sometime. And also the charger light does not On. I didn't know what's wrong with it after working nicely for 6months. Is DELL batteries are not reliable for long time usability?? what can be reasons for my problem??

I would suggest you that if your DELL laptop as under warranty period then go to DELL service and replace your battery, this will release your tension alot. But if warranty period is over then think you have spend money to buy the new battery. Because, according to your problem i think your battery is damage. The damage would be caused due to improper maintenance of battery, so always take proper precautions of handling battery.

I think your battery performance has degraded. The battery of all Dell Latitude D410, goes through decrease in the maximum capacity with time or use. Always the loss of battery capacity will be different depending on the product usage and configuration, including but not limited to: product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. To determine if your battery has had a warranted failure or not, for this you may be required to run an HP diagnostic. Visit DELL service center if your problem does not fix.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Just signed up for this forum and though this is a couple years late I think it will help somebody someday. I have 7 different model Dell laptops bought over the past few years (I was a loyal fan with a charge account) and 4 of them have battery issues. Through much trial and error I have found that it's simply the electronics in the Dell batteries. For example, I have a XPS M1710 laptop that just came back from getting the video chip replaced for free (video stopped working years ago) as part of the NVIDIA class action lawsuit. My battery wouldn't charge before I sent it and still wouldn't when I got it back. (I was hoping that they'd fix it when they did the video card) I bought another 150W Dell charger - didn't help. Bought a Dell 170 watt charger - didn't help. Dell OEM batteries are priced high so I tried a third party and got a Li-Ion battery for 18 bucks. Yay I thought but the battery was junk (you get what you pay for I guess). Sent it back, got talked into a replacement - junk too. Out of frustration I tore it open and saw the little circuit boards in the end. For the hell of it I popped open my dead (going on 3 years now) Dell battery and swapped some parts. My dead Dell battery electronics mixed with the new third party battery cells - Still junk. Now I try the THIRD PARTY electronics with my 3 year old dead Dell OEM battery cells and voila! It took over 4 hours to fully charge the battery and it lasts over 2 hours now. And my machine is a pig... Dell ELECTRONICS in the battery were the culprit. Not the cells like I thought all along. Bought 3 third party batteries for the other 3 laptops (all different models) and did the same swap out and they're all good now. Dell CELLS are great. It's the little control modules inside the battery that suck.
    Last edited by diverse_digital; 29-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.