Thread: Laptop powers on but does not give Display

Laptop powers on but does not give Display

I have HP pavilion DV 2000 laptop which is about 6 months old. It has Windows XP Service Pack 2 loaded on it. Recently i have been experiencing some problems with my laptop, When i try to turn the laptop on, it powers up but does not give display. After sometime its shuts down giving out a beeping sound.This is been happening from few days now. I cant find any solution. I am thinking that this is because of the corrupt windows installation. Please help.

Re: Laptop powers on but does not give Display

Yes there is a possibility that this problem is because of the corrupt windows installation. As you are using a HP pavilion Laptop, it has HP recovery tools installed on it. If you know the steps to restore the Windows setup using the HP recovery tool, you can go ahead with it. If you dont know how to use the tool, then visit their official site or contact HP service center to guide you to solve the issue. The laptop will work fine after the windows installation is restored.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I think the problem is not because of the windows crash, but because of the internal hard drive failure. Laptops being a portable device are prone to physical shocks which is the main cause behind failure of various devices. Hard disk more prone to damage due to physical shocks as it has a rotating media inside it. Hard disks develop bad clusters (area's which are inaccessible) due to frequent read/ write cycles. Try and get the Hard disk checked and replaced as soon as possible.

The onboard video card of your laptop must have gone bad, as you are not getting any display when you turn on the laptop. Get the graphic card checked by some technicians provided by the manufacturer of the laptop. I suppose that it must be covered under one year warranty and there will be no issue in getting the graphic card replaced. If it is not under warranty then you will have to pay the charges for the card to be changed and also the service charge.

Beeping sound and system shutting down suggest that there is some issue either with the RAM of the laptop or the Motherboard. If you can open the laptop, remove the RAM chip and try to boot the laptop. It should beep continuously. Now replace the ram and check whether the system boots. If you have multiple ram Chips then try using one chip at a time. Also remove the battery situated on the motherboard and check the voltage across it. The voltage should be above 2 volts. Replace the battery if the voltage is less than 2 volts. If the laptop does not start even after replacing the battery then try and get the motherboard replaced.

It is possible that the LCD of laptop is ruined or not getting enough power. LCD's have a very less life span of about 2 years so there are high chances that the LCD is faulty. It is also possible that the power board of LCD is not able to provide enough power so that it can fire up. Check the voltage levels of the Power board of the LCD situated on the laptop. You can check the display by connecting some other monitor via a VGA cable to your laptop.