Thread: Xbox 360 doesn't detect WD 1.0 TB drive

Xbox 360 doesn't detect WD 1.0 TB drive

My Xbox 360 is not detecting my WD MyBook Essential 1.0 TB external drive. I thought that after completing some initial installation we just need to simply plug in it to any of the Xbox 360 USB port and that would detect it. But it is not. Are there any changes to be made in my 360.?

NTFS and FAT32 problem

There is a great possibility that your WD is formatted with NTFS system and Xbox 360 will not be able to read it as it supports FAT32 system. You cannot have files larger than 4GB because of the FAT32 limitations. So try reformatting your WD Hard drive with FAT32 or HSFs+, and check if it works.

Reformatting not working

I checked the File system and yes it is NTFS which is not supported by Xbox 360. And i also have files with size larger than 4GB. So tried reformatting it to FAT32 and to HSFs+ also but that did not worked. I don't know why it is creating so much problems because my Xbox is also not even a year old. What do i do. I am very confused. Will this WD Hard drive be a waste now.

Update the Firmware

As you said that your Xbox is not even a year old so i guess there might be some issue with the firmware of your Xbox. It happens sometimes that the firmware itself tends to corrupt some files which might create such problem. So try to update your Xbox's firmware, for that just either
    Create a new xbox live silver account - comes with one month complimentary gold subscription.
    or Sign in with the current xbox live account and if there is any updates to the console to "Connect to xbox live" and then accept it.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Re: Xbox 360 doesn't detect WD 1.0 TB drive

I have two mybooks , essentail 2 1tb without the smartware recognizes fine , but the my book essentail 1tb with the smartware and other shit does not, im trying to figure out why myself , i think its all the extra bullshit software

Re: Xbox 360 doesn't detect WD 1.0 TB drive

Quote Originally Posted by ducey View Post
    I have two mybooks , essentail 2 1tb without the smartware recognizes fine , but the my book essentail 1tb with the smartware and other shit does not, im trying to figure out why myself , i think its all the extra bullshit software
    Can you please explain or specify exactly what type of problem is faced by you? As per what i can understand, you are saying that your 2nd my book essential is not getting recognized in your pc? In that case, have you tried to plug it in another pc and checked whether it is working or not?
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's