Thread: Big Problem with Toshiba External hard drive

Big Problem with Toshiba External hard drive

Hey there, I am trying to access my Toshiba external hard drive from my desktop computer but i am not able to. It has On-spec back up software installed on it , whenever i try to access the hard drive by entering password for the drive, it shows that the hard drive is enabled but on my computer it appears like a CD drive with only 19.7mb capacity. The hard disk is of 200gb capacity and Has a lot of data on it which i dont want to lose.It shows the drive as a Network drive. Is there anyway in which i can remove the virtual drive software? Is it because of my operating system as i am using Windows 7? Please suggest a solution.
    Last edited by Bon-Z; 21-12-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Re: Big Problem with Toshiba External hard drive

On-spec is not a virtual drive software but software which is used to take back-up and syncing of data. This problem can be due to this as it may be conflicting with some other application running on your computer. I don't think it is possible to remove this software without formatting the drive but still you can try to remove it through windows.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Looking at the problem, it seems to be like a hard drive problem. Contact the manufacturer in your case Toshiba to get there technical support. There certain software's available online which diagnose the problems with your hard drive. Try installing one such software and run the tests on your hard drive, if there are some errors with your hard drive then take it to the nearest Toshiba service center. Service center will replace the hard drive or will fix the problem according to their convenience also they will try to save your data which is there on the hard drive.

I am sure that you will be able to uninstall the on-spec software without formatting. Boot the system in safe mode. To enter safe mode, press F8 when the computer is starting, it will show different modes. Select Safe mode and press enter. When the system boots completely, connect the hard drive. as you have booted in safe mode the On-spec software will not work, therefore go to control panel then Add/remove program, now select the on-spec software and click on uninstall. After uninstalling the software, you will be able to access the hard drive normally.

You will need to Map the drive in order to access the Network Drive. This what you do to access a Network Drive. First Right click on my computer. Then select Map network drive option. As soon as you click on Map network drive, a new window will open. It will ask for which drive to be mapped. Enter the volume of the external drive in the destination drive tab. The contents of the external drive will seen directly.

If you are not able to remove the data back-up software from the external hard drive and if it is still seen as a CD drive, then download a software which will convert CD drive to Hard disk drive. Using this software you will be able to convert the virtual CD drive in to virtual hard disk drive. After converting the drive you will be able to access all the data on your hard drive. Also try and get drivers for your external hdd which are windows 7 compatible.