Thread: How to use MagicJack without the dongle ?

How to use MagicJack without the dongle ?

Hello guys, I am using the windows 7 on my computer. I have purchased a new internet connection and i have installed windows xp operating system on my computer. I have heard many things about Magic Jack. Now i am in need to call over long distances. Can anybody help me about how to use magic jack without dongle ?

Easy way to use MagicJack without the dongle.

Following are the steps to use MagicJack without USB dongle.
    1. Connect the magicJack dongle.
    2. Copy the "magicJack" folder on your hard drive from the magicJack drive.
    3. Make a shortcut for magicJackLoader.exe.
    4. Open the properties of the shortcuts by right clicking
    5. Replace the "Target" entry with:
    "C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"
    6. Type in "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in".
    7. Disable the "cdloader2" entry from the Startup tab by using the msconfig.

Requirements to use MagicJack.

It is the best way for communicating over an internet connection by using the service called voice over the internet protocol (VOIP). You can utilize this sevice by using MagicJack but for this your computer need some requirements as follows.
    Your computer should be having a high-speed internet connection, that can be broadband, cable internet, DSL, wireless, Wi-Fi, WiMax or FIOS. Magic Jack will not be useful for satellite internet connection. Your computer should be having operating system such as Windows XP or Vista, Apple/Mac.

What is MagicJack ?

Magic Jack is basically used for internet calling. Though it is not providing the direct calling from magic jack to the other end of call as it requires a good connection of internet having a good speed. Magic Jack is a small gadget that is inserted into the USN port of your computer. Then any phone can be connected to the magic jack. By doing this you can make local calls almost at the rate of free and there are no limitations over the length or frequency of the call.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Exit the MagicJack softphone.

Yes, I know that there is not exit option for quitting from the softphone. For having such kind of option you need to some steps as follows.
    1. Create a shortcut on your desktop by right clicking on your desktop and name it "Exit from MagicJack."
    2. Use the following in the shortcut's "Target" or "Location" field.
    XP uses "tskill"
    tskill.exe magicjack
    3. Select "Minimized" in the "Run" field.
    Now, Whenever you will double click on that shortcut, It will make your softphone to exit.

Setting the priority of the magicjack.exe

MagicJack's process priority has been set to High just to fix choppy, garbled voices over the network while talking. As soon as you are using the Magic Jack without dongle, you may want to set your magic jack's priorities to have some more useful and exotic output from the Magic Jack. Here are the steps to set the priority manually.
    1. Open the Task Manager by pressing Alt-Ctrl-Delete.
    2. Make a new process named as magicjack.exe, If it is not present.
    3. Set the priority to High for that process by right clicking on the name of that process.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Re: How to use MagicJack without the dongle ?

I have followed Quentin's instructions but when I open the MagicJack drive all that is there is three files with the name autorun. One is an application, two is an icon and three is setup information. Should I copy these files into a new directory.

Quote Originally Posted by gaylee View Post
    I have followed Quentin's instructions but when I open the MagicJack drive all that is there is three files with the name autorun. One is an application, two is an icon and three is setup information. Should I copy these files into a new directory.
    You mean to say that after you opened magic jack folder you didnt get magicJackLoader.exe setup file. If thats the case then probably your download got corrupted. Alternately have you tried to run the file with the autorun file? In any case download a new magic jack file from here, it is an exe file, which means you need to double click and install it on your pc.

If I run the file autorun on my dongle it will load all the correct files on my hard drive to use with the dongle. Should I copy these files to another directory per the original instructions??

Hi gaylee,

Yes you can copy the "MagicJack" folder from the MagicJack drive to a drive on the harddrive for example, in the "C:\magicJack\" drive. It is optional incase if you want another user to access it easily. After this you can follow all the instructions given at the top of this threads and for updates, plug in the dongle periodically to let updates occur and re-copy the folders.