Thread: Please suggest a good ubuntu powered netbook

Please suggest a good ubuntu powered netbook

Hey guys i would like a few suggestions regarding a purchase i wish to make for my brother.My brother recently joined a new firm and i am planning to gift him a netbook.He has an Ubuntu desktop at home so i am planning to give him an Ubuntu based netbook.Basically i want the netbook to be linux compatible in short.This is for his personal use when he is away for work and not for office work,he uses applications like firefox,yahoo,skype etc.

Re: Please suggest a good ubuntu powered netbook

I bought a Dell Mini 10v's for personal use and i can assure you i am very happy with it.The only downside is that they only come with the horrible Dell-branded Broadcom wireless cards,i recommend you to replace those with Intel wireless cards and trust me you will celebrate later.Be sure to get the solid state drive by the way if you choose to buy one,i have the samsung solid state drive on mine,the difference between mine and the conventional hard drive is very noticeable based on my experience so please take note of this.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 15-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I have a Dell Mini 10v powered by Ubuntu Netbook Remix which is working very well for me but i do have a couple of complaints which i would like you to know before you decide to purchase this product.You will need to do a lot work to upgrade the RAM of this netbook compared to the other netbooks which need the RAM upgrades too.The SD card slot is very irritating because it only inserts the card half way and is held by friction mostly so the security of your card is always questionable,not to mention the easy to use part is not so easy when your worried half the time.The screen is great and my solid state drive has not given me any issues.I would give a thumbs up to this except for the 2 issues i mentioned.

Well it seems most of the people are fans of the Dell netbooks.Based on your requirements i would like to recommend a Samsung NC 10.I'm still using my Samsung NC10 with Ubuntu installed on it every day without much issues.The life of the battery is very good and it turns off the power to the wifi card when you turn wifi off which is a very good power saving option.The keyboard is also very much easy to use compared to the slimmed down ones on the other netbooks.Hope this helps,good luck with your shopping.