Thread: M17x DPC Latency

M17x DPC Latency

There was mail in my inbox that most of the Alienware M17x system are suffering from DPC latency issue. This is directly hitting the audio issue of the laptop and I am not able to figure out the issue behind this. I have a friends laptop where while gaming I found that the issue lies with the audio. It drops to low or stutters basically. Does bios update can fix this out.

Re: M17x DPC Latency

There is a tool for that if you think that your system has a DPC latency issue. I have noticed speed problems on my PC running Windows XP. Particularly evident in the games, with regular lag (latency, delay), this strange problem was also evident in some applications apparently resource-intensive. For that I am using DPC Latency checker which gives me proper statistics.

What I notice it picks up 40ms latency when opening and closing windows, launch programs or websites. When I do not handling, the latency is still in approximately 0.28 ms. This problem only my fire-wire external sound-card. In fact, when I use my card as audio driver in a program, the driver does not work when there at peak latency. This issue looks with the system.

Go to the device manager. You can go there by right clicking on My Computer and then click on properties. Then go to Hardware and click on Device Manager. I had disabled multiple devices to identify potential leaders the right, in this case Microsoft SideWinder (auto sensing), which was regularly check that I had not plugged a gaming device on my sound card.

With DPC Latency Checker I had compared the speed of Windows XP respectively with Windows Vista. DPCs are Deferred Procedure Calls. They are, roughly speaking, the device driver programming routines that are executed when an interrupt request occurs for a device driver. DPC by the operating requirements of all device drivers are executed sequentially.

This looks hardware fault and to fix the same first you will need to update your system drivers. Then the other option is to update your BIOS which fix the issue most of the time. DPC Latency Checker measures the latency in the processing of all pending DPCs. So we can see whether the overall system is fit, fast enough to respond to interrupts. Try to update the device driver first.

It is common issue with the models of AlienwareM17x. For this you must first update the BIOS version of this Alienware system. You can download the same from the official site. After that try to run the mass storage controller utility. This will help you to remove the current mass storage device completely. This is basically re-installing the mass storage control driver. Then also ensure that you have installed the Alienware wireless card driver.