Thread: help required! projector not recognised without restart?

help required! projector not recognised without restart?

i am having problems connecting both my dvi computer screen and my vga projecor at the same time. every time i want to change between the two i have to restart the computer and disconnect the one i am not using. it seems that both the dvi output and the vga output will not recognise inputs at the same time.
    the projector cable has a vga output for my screen on it but this means i can only use my screen in low res (800x600) and this is pretty frustrating!
    the vga connection goes straight from my motherboard to the proj. whereas the dvi comes from my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS).

i have a dell vostro 200 desktop running windows 7 (recent upgrade from vista but still having same issue.) i have just noticed whilst writing this that the graphics card has an S-video output which my projector can take. is this the answer??

thanks

Re: help required! projector not recognised without restart?

First of all, DVI (Digital Visual Interface) actually comes in three flavors - DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D is virtually identical to the video component of an HDMI signal but DVI-A (analog) is more like a VGA connection. DVI-I is a hybrid connector that supports both digital and analog outputs (but not necessarily at the same time). You can solve your problem by using some kind of adapter which can do multiple tasks or which can connect two devices to one output. Probably these adapters are easily available in the market.