Thread: What is mean by "Other" in capacity status of the iPhone?

What is mean by "Other" in capacity status of the iPhone?

I have 8gb iphone3G which is 3 months old. I thing it is one of the coolest stuff in mobile category. I don't have problem in this except one, when I connect my iphone to iTunes it shows how your iphone memory is divided in what manner. It shows 4gb for songs, 2gb for video, 1gb for images and 1gb for other. I don't understand what is mean by "other". Can any one tell me for what purpose "Other" memory is used?
    Thanks in advanced.

Re: What is mean by "Other" in capacity status of the iPhone?

You don't have to worry about this problem. Other capacity is usually use by your other installed application to stored database. It is also used by some in-built application like notepad, contact, calender to store various document. If you are using map application in your iphone then whenever you open map application then all your map backup is stored on this section, it will help you when you use map in offline mode.
    I think this will help you.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I think your iphone memory is used by some unknown application which is unnecessarily eat your iphone memory. You can not directly delete this section from iTunes. You have to restore your iphone to original setting. Just restore your iphone without using backup, this will free up your lot of memory. After restoring the iphone do not install any third party software, because this will consume your lot of iphone memory.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

"Other" memory is also called as shared memory and it is used by all your application. It is like your computer where some of your hard-disk memory is used by operating system and other installed application. This is not the new thing it has been going on from several years. In this memory your iphone's OS is installed. If you don't want to increase this memory then do not installed any third party application it. "Other" memory is used like your database storage.