Thread: Settings for using iPhone Abroad

Settings for using iPhone Abroad

Hi mates... i am in urgent need of help from you all guys... hope anyone can help me out..

I am having an iPhone and due to some business work, i have to move out of my country and am taking my phone with me. So i wanted to know is what settings i need to do with my iPhone to use it in abroad apart from the carrier ?

Please make me know the same as soon as possible ? Thanks in advance..

Re: Settings for using iPhone Abroad

While taking any phone to abroad, your device will be under Roaming. Roaming is the word used to describe using your mobile phone on another network for a short period, while still being billed by your existing provider. The normal setting that you have to do is to set iPhone to add the correct prefix when dialing from another country. To do so in Settings, tap Phone, then turn International Assist on. This lets you make calls to your home country using the numbers in your contacts and favorites, without having to add a prefix or your country code. International Assist works for U.S. telephone numbers only. When you make a call using International Assist, “International Assist” appears on the iPhone screen, alternating with the “calling ...” message, until your call is connected.

You must first enable your carrier's service plan for international roaming. Roaming charges may apply for voice and data. To avoid data roaming charges, make sure Data Roaming is turned off. Contact your carrier for information on roaming charges. In Settings, tap Carrier, then select the carrier you prefer. This option is available only when you’re traveling outside your carrier’s network. You can make calls only on carriers that have roaming agreements with your iPhone service provider.

To turn Data Roaming On or off, in Settings, choose General > Network and turn Data Roaming on or off. Data Roaming is turned off by default.

Turning Data Roaming off helps to avoid data roaming charges when traveling outside your carrier’s network by disabling data transmission over the cellular network. You can still access the Internet if you have a Wi-Fi connection.

When you are roaming on another network the temporary mobile phone company will bill your usual mobile phone company for calls you make while roaming on their network. In Settings, tap Carrier, then select the carrier network you prefer. Note: This setting appears when you’re outside of your carrier’s network and other local carrier networks are available to use for your phone calls and cellular data connections.

If you are having issues connecting to the Cellular Data network, check the icons in the iPhone status bar for 3G, EDGE, or GPRS to determine if you’re connected to a cellular data network.

If Data Roaming is turned off, you can still make and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages. Voice roaming charges may apply. Visual voicemail is delivered if there’s no charge; if your carrier charges for delivery of visual voicemail when roaming, turning Data Roaming off prevents the delivery of visual voicemail. To enable email, web browsing, and other data services, turn Data Roaming on.