Thread: Setting up Wifi on Windows Mobile 6

Setting up Wifi on Windows Mobile 6

Hi, i am having some query about Wi-Fi and hope this is the right place for the same. Actually, i am a Nokia mobile user but 2 days back i bought a new t-mobile touchscreen smartphone with Windows Mobile 6. Now i want to use WiFi on the same but as i am new to this mobile, need help from you all guys regarding the same. Could you guys please help me in setting up the Wifi on my Windows Mobile ? Thanks for all your helps..

Re: Setting up Wifi on Windows Mobile 6

Yeah, you are at the right place for this question, friend. Just for your info, wireless access points may be provided by your service provider, your employer, and coffee shops, airports, and other gathering places. Your device must wirelessly connect to these access points (also known as "hotspots") before you can use your device to connect to the Internet.

By default, Wi-Fi is turned off when you first start your device. When you want to use it, here is how to turn it on :-

• Tap Start > Settings > Connections tab > Wireless Manager.
    • Tap the Wi-Fi button. If it is turned off, the button is a lighter color and displays an icon marked with an X.
    • Tap Done. Thats it..

Here are some important things that you needed for setting up the WiFi on your Windows Mobile Smartphone. Just go through this:-

1. Tap Start > Connections tab > Connections > Wireless Manager.
    2. Tap Menu > Wi-Fi Settings > Wireless tab.
    3. Tap Add New.
    4. Enter the following information:
      • In Network name, enter a name for the connection.
      • In Connects to, select Internet or Work.
      • If you want to connect directly to another device or computer, and not to a network through an access point, select This is a device to device (ad hoc) connection.
    5. Tap Next.
    6. On the Configure Network Authentication screen, do the following:
      • Select the authentication and data encryption methods.
      • Enter the network key information or select the The key is automatically provided check box. If it is necessary, ask the network administrator for authentication, encryption, and network key information.
    7. Tap Next and select or clear the Use IEEE 802.1X network access control check box.
    8. To use Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) or smart card authentication, make the selections appropriate to your choice of authentication.
    9. Tap Finish.

Hey, thanks for your helps, mate.. I really appreciate for that. I will do it later today when i'll get to home and guess can do that easily. Anyways, i request you guys to please make me know editing the settings if i required to do that in future. Thanks for the same, too.

Changing the Wi-Fi settings on your device lets you specify the types of networks you want to access, whether you want to be notified of available networks, and when to turn off Wi-Fi if a connection is not made.

To do that, Tap Start > Connections tab > Connections > Wireless Manager. Now tap Menu > Wi-Fi Settings. In the Networks to access field, select one of the following:-
    1. All Available, which includes Wi-Fi enabled devices and access points
    2. Only access points, which includes devices that connect wireless communication devices together to form a wireless network
    3. Only computer-to-computer, which connects only to other Wi-Fi enabled devices

Once done, tap on Done. Thats it !!!