Thread: Itunes does not detect Ipod

Itunes does not detect Ipod

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me out. My itunes does not recognize my ipod, but my windows explorer does. This is not a new computer or ipod - it all worked fine for about a year until yesterday. I know that this is not an unusual problem, but I am not sure what to do as I've tried many of the recommended solutions, and none of them work. Here is a list of things that may be helpful in order to understand it better:

- When I hook up my ipod (80gb classic), it automatically triggers itunes and launches it, but it's not visible there; it does show up in windows explorer.
    - I have hooked up my wife's iphone and an external hard drive to the same USB, and both work. Itunes detects my wife's iphone.
    - I have tried a different USB port.
    - I have tried a different USB cable.
    - I have reset my ipod and even tried the disc mode.
    - I have removed and reinstalled Itunes and did all the steps that Apple asks you to try (stop ipod services and the rest of them).
    - My itunes at work does recognize my ipod (my itunes at work is an older version), and it all works fine.
    - I have changed the drive name for my ipod (from F to G).
    - I tried formatting my ipod in windows explorer, but I seem to be unable to do so.

Any help is welcome, as it seems to me that my ipod and my computer are working properly, just that my computer is somehow "confused".

Thanks!

Re: Itunes does not detect Ipod

I thing this problem is related to the driver failure. Right click on My computer and open property window. Go to Device manager and delete ipod and its driver. To do that connect the ipod and go to device manager.Double click on disk drive and expand them. Right click on a ipod to delete the ipod and it drivers. Now remove ipod and plug it again. if it is not give appropriate result then install new version of itunes. You can download from internet.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

There various reason that can cause to not detect ipod in itunes there may be connection may be lose, USB port may be not working or wire may be damage or drivers may be not install properly or corrupted. Try doing following things
    *Reset your iPod(It means turn off ipod and restart)
    *Try connecting with a different USB port.
    *Restart your computer and make sure you have the latest software updates installed.
    *Remove iTunes software and then reinstall iTunes software from latest versions on the web.
    * Restore your iPod.(Format your ipod and install new version of ipod).
    *Re-install your operating system.
    After doing all these still you have the problem then contact near by Apple service center.
    Last edited by Pugsly; 16-11-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Other than re-installing the entire operating system, I think that I've tried all the suggestions above - thanks anyway. I must have removed and reinstalled Itunes five different times.

I might try doing the Ipod drivers again when I get home tonight, just for the heck of it.

Thanks!

None of the above worked, and at this point, I am not ready to re-install the operating system. I think that for now, till I come up with something else, I will just use my other computer as I don't want to mess with our primary computer too much when my wife is using it for her finals. It's not ideal, but I'll manage.

Thanks for the advice!

OK, so after giving this a break for some time, I have been able to fix this problem.

It was all just very puzzling to me, as it was a very controlled experiment. In other words, my Ipod worked on other computers and my wife's I-phone worked on my computer using the very same cable and USB port.

So, after I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Itunes 9.0.2 several times, and it didn't work, I decided to uninstall Itunes 9.0.2 and put on Itunes 8.something (it's at home, so I can't tell you for sure), and it worked!? I had to do a quick library fix after I reinstalled Itunes 8, but it worked.

It leads me to believe that there is something in Itunes 9.0.2 that may cause one's Ipod Classic 80GB to act up. I am sure that it doesn't happen all the time, but it seems like it might.