Thread: IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop problem

IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop problem

I have an IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop on which i had installed Windows Vista as my operating system. I noticed that my IBM Thinkpad looked like it had been turned off, but really the screen was extremely dark. I can still see the desktop, but barely. The sound works as well as the keyboard, but its next to impossible to use the laptop because of the screen darkness. If I press the power button, the power LED lights up then dies instantly, i hear a click sound when I press the power button. So, can any body tell me that what is the actual problem with my IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop? What i need to do in order to resolve the above issue? Any one knows about it? Would be grateful if any body provides me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop problem

I think its mainly because of the Intel Bus Master entry, which you can find it in device manager which conflicts with the two other bus master entries. This could be due to failure of the backlight, the inverter (the most likely cause), power components on the motherboard or loose connections.

Does it happen also if you are in BIOS setup? Boot into BIOS setup and apply pressure to those pressure points you described. Does the laptop seem to run hot at all? Before windows loads hit F8 and start in safe mode. Let us know if it works there. Then we will try to determine what might be causing the problems. Also if you can remove the keyboard and palmrest and locate the devices underneath which can be directly affected when you apply pressure on top.

Replace the CMOS battery to correct the BIOS and clock problem after powering down. Test your battery in a similar laptop. If it behaves the same, then you might consider getting a new one. If not, start by cleaning the terminals of the battery. Or otherwise you can go to IBM/ Lenovo support, and find and download the "hardware maintenance manual".