Thread: How to update SGH-i617 to Windows Mobile 6.1

How to update SGH-i617 to Windows Mobile 6.1

Hi, i am using Samsung SGH-i617 smartphone that is also know as Blackjack II since a long time. I have seen many of my friends updated their smartphones to Windows Mobile 6.1 as there are much more new features and improvements. So, i also wanted to update my SGH-i617 Blackjack II to Windows Mobile 6.1 but have no idea of doing so. Could you guys please make me know how to that on Windows Vista computer? Also let me know the features that i can get after updating. Thanks for all your kindness.

Re: How to update SGH-i617 to Windows Mobile 6.1

Thats great idea to update SGH-i617 to Windows Mobile 6.1 that include numerous software enhancements.The update may take between 10-15 minutes to complete if the system is already set up. First of all you need to download the update to your system. As you said, you need to do it on Vista,for your Windows Vista.

Now before updating your mobile, i'll suggest you to please take the backup of your mobile phone as it will erase all user data from the device. Any installed programs and/or updates will need to be re-installed after applying this update.

In order to update your device to Windows Mobile 6.1 you need to install Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 on your computer. To do so, just follow these steps:-

1. Insert the Software Companion disk into your CD drive.
    2. Click Setup & Installation to install programs needed to synchronize the handset and the computer.
    3. By default, both the Windows Mobile Handbook and Windows Mobile Device Center have been selected for you, click Install
    4. The Installation Status screen will display the progress of the installation.
    5. WMDC will take a few moments to install. During this time, it is installing the necessary device drivers needed for your computer, WMDC itself, etc.
    6. Click Done to complete the installation.
    7. Windows Mobile Device Center should now be displayed in your Program Listing by clicking on Start.

Once you are finished installing Windows mobile device center, you need to Install The Samsung Modem Drivers. Here is how to do that:-

• Insert the companion CD into your computer and browse the CD for the modem drivers which are located in the \OEM\Applications\SAMSUNG_MODEM folder.
    • Double click Setup.exe
    • Alternately, the modem drivers may be downloaded from here.
    • Double-click on the file setup.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver installation.
    • Driver Installation will begin with the following display, select Install to continue.
    • The driver package has been successfully installed. Please click OK to continue.

Now the SGH-i617’s USB connection must be changed from ActiveSync to Modem. On the phone, press Start > Settings > Connections > USB.
    Using the directional pad, change the selection from ActiveSync to Modem, then select Done (left soft key). An Information dialog will notify that ActiveSync will not work if you select this, press Ok (left soft key).
    Connect the BlackJack II directly to the computer using the included USB cable. The Found New Hardware wizard should then be displayed on the computer. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the Samsung modem driver installation. In addition to the SAMSUNG Mobile Modem, the SAMSUNG Mobile Modem Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM), and Samsung USB Composite Device drivers are automatically installed during the setup process.Upon the completion of the install, click Start, and type in the search field devmgmt.msc and press Enter on the keyboard. Thats it !!!

After thr Samsung drivers are installed successfully, just take the backup of your device and start the upgrading process. To do so properly, just go through these steps:-
    • Close all open programs and disconnect the SGH-i617 from the USB cable.
    • On the computer, double-click on the file BlackJackII_WM6_1_Upgrade_For_Vista
    • The following image shows the program's opening screen.
    • For the ID prompt, enter 5688
    • For the Key prompt, enter 9231
    • Click on the Confirm button.
    • The Downloader Tool’s Welcome window should appear. Please read over the caution notice, insert the checkmark, and click Next.
    • Please review the following instructions, insert the checkmark, and select Next.
    • The Downloader Tool is automatically changing the port mapping to place the handset into download mode. This will take a few moments.
    • The SGH-i617 should now be ready to receive the software update. Please click the Start in the lower right hand corner to begin. The download process will proceed through a series of steps.
    • The handset should display “USB Downloader-BADA PC Connection OK, Single Mode”.
    • The upgrade process will progress through several different phases.
    • Click on the Done button in the lower right-hand corner.

Thats it ..You are done !!!

After upgrading to Windows Mobile 6.1, you will get the following feature enhancements:-

• New Look & Feel: Using Windows Mobile 6.1, an easy-to-use Sliding Panel homescreen allows you quick access to your Samsung i617 primary functions by simply sliding vertically and horizontally through the homescreen panels.

• System Center Mobile Device Manager (SCMDM): When enabled by your business IT department, SCMDM provides device management enhancements and secure data access to your corporate network.

• Improved GPS Navigation: With AT&T Navigator and assisted-GPS (aGPS), the Samsung i617 leverages both satellite and cellular technology to get you there on time.

• Threaded SMS Messaging: Rather than seeing a stand-alone response when you open an SMS message, you'll view the details of your entire conversation. Now you can easily see how the conversation has progressed.

• Internet Connection Sharing: Utilize your smartphone capabilities by using your phone as a high-speed wireless modem for your laptop. It's easy to set up and even easier to connect. Just click and go!

• Mobile Banking: Perform secure banking transactions with many of the nation's largest banks right from your Samsung i617.

• Voice Command: Voice Command transforms your Samsung i617 into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts, make phone calls, get calendar information, and play and control your music, as well as start programs.

Will this update lock the phone to AT&T again????? or can we continue to use it with other operators?

No if the phone is already unlocked then the update will not lock it back to AT and T. Every phone only needs to be unlocked only once and there is no way in which the phone can be locked again to only one operator. So dont worry and run the update without any worries.