Thread: SONY VAIO Brightness Controller Problem

SONY VAIO Brightness Controller Problem

Recently i had purchased a new SONY VAIO laptop. On which Windows Vista was preinstalled. Just few days back i had downgraded to Windows Xp and even had installed all necessary drivers for Windows Xp. But now the problem is that i'm unable to control the brightness. My Fn + F5 along with F6 keys doesn't work on my Windows Xp. Can any body tell me that why does i'm having brightness controller problem on my SONY VAIO laptop? Any body have any idea about it? Please provide me the correct solution to get rid of the above issue. Would be grateful if any body helps me out.

Re: SONY VAIO Brightness Controller Problem

Did you verify if there's a driver for your keyboard functions? Please try to download it or look for it on the driver CD. I'm having a similar problem. I purchased a Sony Vaio with Windows XP installed, and my fn key doesn't work at all. Is there some sort of override for this, because it's quite frustrating, as the brightness is very low.

You need to make sure that you follow the instructions on Sony's site for installing the drivers and Sony utilities in the correct order after you install XP. A simple notification area applet which lets you control a Sony Vaio laptop's screen brightness. If you do that, your brightness keys will work fine. It also has prefined, configurable, modes for certain situations, plus the ability to alter brightness based on events occurring on the desktop.

According to the FAQ on Sony's site for your model, it appears that you may need to re-enable or reload the software that enables the hotkeys. First uninstall the Sony Event Service and restart, then re-install it. It will work then. Or you must return it to the laptop store and use the warranty they provided you with.

Sorry i dont have any scren shots, but what i did was:

right clik on my computer

click manage

click on 'device manager'

then right click on 'video controller' (which for me is already a yellow question mark for some reason)

then click 'disable'

then the hotkey brightness shortcut buttons started working.

after that i just 'enabled' the video controller

everything is still working great!

You must return it to the laptop store and use the warranty they provided you with. I think the problem is coming from the hardware or most likely the LCD panel. According to the FAQ on Sony's site for your model, it appears that you may need to re-enable or reload the software that enables the hotkeys. If software has been installed for use with a third-party keyboard or mouse, uninstall the software to ensure there are no conflicts.