Thread: How to unlock cdma phone

How to unlock cdma phone

I would like to know that is it possible for me to unlock cdma phones? Is it possible for me to do so? Does any body knows about it? Also does the Nokia N80 really work on CDMA. Let me know your views on the above issue. Thank You.

Re: How to unlock cdma phone

CDMA phones technically can be unlocked but not in the same sense that people think about GSM and iDEN unlocking. A RUIM card (also R-UIM) or Re-Usable Identification Module, is a removable ID chip for cellular phones made for the Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) network. Since CDMA phones do not use a SIM card, they are sort of "hardwired" to the provider that sells them. The RUIM card holds a user's personal information such as name and account number, cell phone number, phone book, text messages and other settings.

CDMA phones cannot be unlocked. Unlocked refers to GSM and iDEN phones only, meaning they can accept a sim card from another compatible provider. CDMA phones have handset locks and also have to be individually authenticated by their networks. CDMA phones have to be flashed to another provider's software and settings. Unlocking CDMA phones, which do not have a SIM card, is similar to reprogramming the entire phone. On the other hand you have to be sure that the other service provider is compatible with your phone.

You can't unlock a CDMA phone. Authentication depends on a number of factors, including the MIN and ESN of the user/handset combo. If they don't match up, your account is locked out. Unlocking devices is limited to GSM technology. Any CDMA carrier in the US requires that their own devices can only be activated on their own network.