Thread: IBM Thinkpad Random Keyboard Lockup

IBM Thinkpad Random Keyboard Lockup

I have a T60 IBM Thinkpad Laptop that has been giving me these random lockouts from both the Laptop keyboard and trackpad. I say this is random since it occurs maybe 1 out of every 10 times when am with my computer. When it does it, basically when you attempt to use the keyboard or trackpad neither of them respond. The only way to get it to work again is to either hold down the power button and login in again and it seems to work after that or put it into standby mode by the function keys and it comes out of it. May be it takes 3-6 times of putting it into Standby mode prior the keyboard and trackpad begin working again. What's bizarre is an external USB mouse works no matter what but an external PS/2 mouse doesn't. Also the function keys work no matter what. It's really strange. Maybe it has something to do with some policy but who knows. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

thanks

Re: IBM Thinkpad Random Keyboard Lockup

Have you tried gently prying the key cap off the switch to see if there's anything miss-aligned or some dirt interfering with the key action.I'd attempt that first. If that doesn't work, or if it's physically broken, you may require to replace the keyboard, which is easy enough to do.

Could you visit the device manager (devmgmt.msc into search) and right click the keyboard get the properties and tell us if its working.this could make it better or it could make it worse - have you tried using the Logitech Setpoint software? Out of desperation?

I was having this assumption of you going into a gaming frenzy pounding the keyboard rapidly that the power usage would climb way high and starve the USB circuit . That's why I thought if some other USB ports handle higher capacities, switching might help