Thread: Installing Ipod drivers without itunes

Installing Ipod drivers without itunes

Hi,, i am having an Apple Ipod and was using it with iTunes till now. But, iTunes makes my Windows XP system much slower when there is iTunes installed on it. So what i wanted to know is there any way i can install my iPod Driver without iTunes? If yes, please let me, that will really help me lot. Hope you guys help me out.

Re: Installing Ipod drivers without itunes

Well, you can go for any alternate application for iTunes. We have talked earlier about PoddoX that is an good alternative tool for iTunes.

Anyways, i have found one more application that works the best for your Ipod and iPhone as well. Its CopyTrans Manager. It is faster, lighter and free alternative iPod manager. CopyTrans Manager is the perfect iTunes replacement for your iPhone or iPod. Add music & videos to iPod, edit song tags and artworks, create and organize iPhone playlists, preview tracks with the integrated music player. It has never been this simple!

Download CopyTrans Manager

I'll also recommend you to go with CopyTrans Manager id iTunes is slowing down your system. It has some useful features like:-

• No installation required
    • Takes only 3MB of hard drive space
    • Loads in less than a second
    • Add music, podcasts, audio books, videos, films and TV-shows to iPod or iPhone
    • Drag & Drop songs directly from any folder to your iPod, iTouch and iPhone
    • Add tracks from any PC to iPod, iPod Touch and iPhone
    • Create iPod Touch playlists or edit existing ones
    • Drag & Drop iPhone songs directly into iPhone playlists
    • Import all album artwork automatically to your iPod or iPhone
    • Edit track information (artist, album, ratings, genre, etc.)
    • Search iPhone tracks by album, artist or anyway you want
    • Synchronize iPod instantly or manually

I don't think there is any need of any third party application for installing Ipod drivers. Those applications are good for some extra features.By the way i am not sure about, but iPod does not require drivers to work as a external hard drive.You just need to plug it in and your windows XP should recognize it as a "Mass Storage Device" and assign it a drive letter automatically.

Hi,, need some help regarding the last post. Some of my friends do the way you said, just plug it in and windows recognize it as a "Mass Storage Device" and assign it a drive letter.

But my computer can not recognize the ipod. Why ? It is Windows XP too. Please help.

iPod connected to computer may not be recognized properly when drivers required by a PC's USB interface are not installed correctly or are out of date.In some cases reinstalling, the drivers for your computer's USB interface should resolve this issue.To do so, just go through this steps:-

• Connect iPod to the computer.
    • Quit iTunes if it launches.
    • On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
    • In Control Panel, open Administrative Tools. Note: If you don't see Administrative Tools, look at the left column in Control Panel for a link that says, "Switch to Classic View," and click it.
    • Double click the Computer Management shortcut.
    • In the left column, click on Device Manager.
    • In the right column, click the plus (+) icon next to Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand this selection.
    • Locate the iPod in this list. In some cases one of the entries will have "iPod" in its name. If no such entries are present, the iPod is most likely represented by "USB Mass Storage Device."
    • A red "X" appearing next to the iPod's entry in Device Manager indicates this device is disabled. To enable this device, right-click its entry in Device Manager and choose Enable from the shortcut menu.
    • Right-click the iPod's entry in Device Manager and choose Uninstall from the shortcut menu.
    • In the resulting dialog box, click OK.
    • In the Device Manager window, right-click Universal Serial Bus controllers and choose Scan for hardware changes from the shortcut menu.
    • Windows automatically reinstalls the necessary USB drivers and attempt to remount the iPod.

I think, you are correct Maq.H, but many times rather than reinstalling we should try updating the drivers because this can also be the issue of not recognizing. Here are the steps to update your computer's USB drivers:-

1. Right-click the iPod's entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu.

2. In the Hardware Update Wizard that appears, select "Yes, this time only" to allow Windows to connect to the Windows Update Website. Click Next.

3. Select "Install the software automatically (Recommended)" and click Next. Windows searches for updated drivers and installs any it finds. If Windows is unable to find updated drivers on its own, continue with step #4.

4. Click Back.

5. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click Next.

6. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations."

7. Select "Include this location in the search" and type the following in the field below: C:\Windows\INF

8. Click Next. Windows searches this location for drivers and installs any it finds. If Windows is unable to find updated drivers on its own, you must reinstall the USB drivers as shown below.

9. During installation, if a message appears stating that the software you are installing "has not passed Windows Logo testing" click Continue Anyway to continue installing the drivers.