Thread: hard drive password of Acer Aspire 5100

hard drive password of Acer Aspire 5100

My brother accidentaly set a password on Acer Aspire 5100 hard drive and forgot it and therefore I cannot access anything except the password screen. Hence, I took out the battery from the CMOS and booted the laptop but afterwards I was shocked to see that now its asking me for password of hard drive. I again went into the bios and saw that there was an option given to set password on hard drive but dont know how to remove it? So can anyone tell me how to remove hard drive password from Acer Aspire 5100 laptop? Thank you

Re: hard drive password of Acer Aspire 5100

If you want to clear the bios password of acer aspire 5100 then go to the acer wensite, and look up for your model number under support and downloads, once you found the downloads for your system, then download it and install the Bios Update which not only update your bios, it will give you the option to clear all passwords and stored data in the bios. Hope this works.

I think that you will have to download and install the latest bios from acer website, BIOS v 3.10. If your the hard drive is working fine then you can buy what's called an external hard drive enclosure (2.5" is what I've been told for laptops) for about $20 or $30 and you can use this to transfer your data to either a desktop or laptop. I haven't done it yet but that's what I plan on doing. Hope it helps.

You can also try to replace acer aspire 5100 hard drive , the bay of your hard drive is usually located on the very bottom of your laptop, there are 2 panels at the bottom of your laptop, one is the larger thermal panel which you take off if you want to replace ram or your processor or want to clean the intake fans. The second and smaller panel (near the front of the notebook there should be a "rubber square" on the top of the panel) is where the hard drive is located, unscrew that panel and remove it then you will be able to remove the hard drive.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter