Thread: How to disable your Mobile Phones if Stolen

idea How to disable your Mobile Phones if Stolen

How to disable if you lost/stolen your mobile phone? How to disable your stolen handset? This may be of interest to those mobile users among you. To check your mobile phone's serial number,

1. Key in the following digits on your phone *#06# then a 15 digit code will appear on the screen.
    2. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it
    somewhere safe.
    3. If your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset.
    4. Even if the thief changes the SIM card your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it cannot use or sell it.
    5. If every body do this, there would be no point in stealing mobile phones.
    6. Please note that this is true for all handsets regardless of make.
    7. You may forward this mail to increase awareness among mobile phone users.

i got this same mail in my inbox yesderday..but i dont know how much this is going to useful..
    Becas nowadays the thievs are more intelligent ..bcas whenever the they steals the phone they immediately switch of the phone & remove the sim card..
    Also even if he forget to remove sim,,how the service provider going to disable the phone..how the service provider knows the phone belongs to yours... if i know ur details than, is it possible me to disable phone even if u r the original owner...So without proper evidence the service provider wont disable phone..since many knows IMEI no..

p}{oToN Guest
    well this can be done, but in reality no service provider wants to do it.even private operators like airtel and hutch dont do it in case of theft

Quote Originally Posted by p}{oToN
    but in reality no service provider wants to do it.even private operators like airtel and hutch dont do it in case of theft
    that was i told in my earlier post..
    How they know that phone was yours without any document evidence..

its very well possible 2 implement the system.....but i hav never seen or heard abt it being implelemnted.
    theoritically the books on GSM specify tht its possible.....but no idea y its not used by any service provider??
    anyone ...any idea?

btw CDMA providers in India do use this sytem....as u cant reuse a stolen CDMA phone...thts reliance and tata

unsure

Well i think the mobile makers.like nokia, motorola, etc....should make an collaboration with the operators, to trace the mobile.when it is lost.........
    without their effort, it is quite impossible to handle such situation,,,,,,,,,,,
    because u only can not leave all the situation with police.

and we all know what the hell police is going to do...

Thats the IMEI number. But theses days with the data cable you can change that as well. Secondly because as there are no. of grey market phones in India. Operators are quite wary of barring services just because of the IMEI number. Though this is a unique no. but many dealers change the IMEI number etc. so it may no longer remain unique.

That's the IMEI no.....Unfortunately, no service provider in India is gonna block a IMEI no that you specify or claim was stole....
    2- Even if one decided to do dat, there are n no of other operators who won't....
    3- Operators in UK have a national databse of stolen set IMEIs, but the same phones can be used outside UK...

[B]Last but certainly not the least.....Changing IMEI is just a matter of flashing the EEPROM.,,,,All you need is a datacable :-)...want me to change ur phone's???
    Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
    Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
    Alone in fear they question why
    Goddamn not an angel when I die !!!

Thr0n Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi182
    That's the IMEI no.....Unfortunately, no service provider in India is gonna block a IMEI no that you specify or claim was stole....
    2- Even if one decided to do dat, there are n no of other operators who won't....
    3- Operators in UK have a national databse of stolen set IMEIs, but the same phones can be used outside UK...

[B]Last but certainly not the least.....Changing IMEI is just a matter of flashing the EEPROM.,,,,All you need is a datacable :-)...want me to change ur phone's???
    Yeah the wind is in right direction - In india, you cannot get the phone back. Read more on how to handle this situation here www.offtopics.in/ot12.html

BTW, I would like to know how can an EEPROM be flashed to get a new IMEI number. I think only last digits in the number are unique - Others are MFG number and such stuff which can be reapeating. So if a phone with the changed IMEI number exists in the same network, what will happen?

May I quote this one:
    I thought Planet-design understands the normal ethics of online forums. I was terribly mistaken.
    Please edit your signature as per forum rules. Thanks!
    www.techarena.in

BTW, I would like to know how can an EEPROM be flashed to get a new IMEI number. I think only last digits in the number are unique - Others are MFG number and such stuff which can be reapeating. So if a phone with the changed IMEI number exists in the same network, what will happen?
    Yes, it is fairly easy to flash the EEPROM and reset the IMEI for most pphones...I used to have a SL-45 with a Serial port based connector...I played around with that phone so much...Chnged the Firware and upgraded it to suport Java (SL45i),,,, changed the IMEI just for the heck of it.....
    So IMEI based phone blockages (Even if the service provider supports it) will not change the situation much....
    Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
    Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
    Alone in fear they question why
    Goddamn not an angel when I die !!!

This is really of great help!

Glennw Guest
    That's a great tip mate! I am going to go and write it down right now as i just bought a New Nokia 6235.