Thread: Gateway power jack problem

Gateway power jack problem

I'm having a Gateway M520 notebook on which i had installed Windows Vista as my operating system. The problem is that whenever i try to plug the wire in the power jack, it doesn't get properly connected, due to which i'm not able to charge my notebook. Can any body tell me that what i need to do in order to resolve my gateway power jack problem? Does any body knows about it? kIndly help me out to get rid of the above issue.

Re: Gateway power jack problem

The Gateway MA2 power jack has 6 solder points which are needed to ground and provide the proper amount of power to your system, these terminals can become damaged, discolored and corroded over time. The problem we're seeing typically occurs when someone attempts to repair or replace the DC power jack by applying too much heat during the soldering or de-soldering of the jack.

The DC input board on these models is very fragile and prone to such issues, so care must be taken not to inflict additional damage during repair attempts. The trick is to use some electric tape, otherwise you might short out the power supply because of copper tape attached to the chassis.

This repair will require complete dis-assembly of your Gateway M520 notebook, once the system has been disassembled motherboard will be inspected for damages to ensure issues are just power jack related. I have a gateway m520 and have already replaced the power and volume control panel a few months ago. My power jack has been bothering for quite awhile and is getting harder and harder to keep the plug in the correct position to make contact. I already have purchased the new power jack and am trying to get up enough nerve to start the project.