Thread: Itunes Shared off a network drive

Itunes Shared off a network drive

Hello Good morning

I would like to know can I possibly share all the tunes i have stored on a network drive with different users.I don't need to duplicate the music library, just have it running from one location for all users on the PC and laptop

any thoughts??

Re: Itunes Shared off a network drive

Dude, Can i tell one thing you need not have to install iTunes on your server at all, just store the actual music and video files within a server share.Then on your workstation, install iTunes as normal and point it to the share where your music and video files are installed.

The easiest way would be for each user to have their own iTunes library. So that each user just references the music off the network drive.More over, you should also be aware that editing of tag information may not be seen properly in the other libraries either. The tag info in your music files will be modified, but iTunes may not refresh that information into the other library databases., since it does cache it in it's own database. Therefore, your best bet is to get all of your tag information cleaned up before importing the music into multiple libraries.

iTunes aides it's own music sharing function if all you need to enjoy music from the other computers. for this configure the library on one computer, and enable sharing under iTunes>Preferences>Sharing. The other machines will be able to browse your library and listen to your music,but modification and copying not allowed,it's just a "listen-only" mode.On the same time it is possible to share the library database itself.Sharing the library itself on a network drive is only recommended for multiple computer access if you're the only person access it and you're careful not to have iTunes running on more than one computer at a time. But not much benefited for multiple user access, as the database isn't designed for multi-user access it may effect even a database corruption.

I use a different computer to manage iTunes and my music is saved on a server.The folder on the C is the default one iTunes creates. Created a folder on your NAS called "iTunes". Opend iTunes and went to Edit>Preferences and then "Advanced.In the top section, hit "Change" and browse to your iTunes folder on your NAS. and applied the settings