Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 17-07-2009

External hard drive is making clicking sound

HI,
I have 250 GB WD (western digital) external hard drive. When i connect it to my system, it takes too much time to recognize and open. And now its making clicking noise, everytime i connect it. Why it is making such noise? Anyone have any idea?

All suggestions are accepted.
Old 17-07-2009

Re: External hard drive is making clicking sound

This noise is because of the head sliding part way off the platters. It is a signal that your hard drive is failing. It can take weeks or months to fail. But it is time for you now to backup all the data on your hard drive.
Old 17-07-2009

Yes, your hard drive is failing. You need a recovery software or program to backup the data. It is risky to try this failing hard drive to recover the data. Use the perfect software to recover and get some suggestions from experts on it. Go through the following thread on Western Digital external drive clicking sound.
Old 17-07-2009

There is another way to give a try for the drive. You can use adapter to connect it to the system. There are plenty of external hard drive adapters available in the market. Check the following link for example: http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=HDD

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,