Thread: Need opinion on Canon xsi over Olympus E-500

Need opinion on Canon xsi over Olympus E-500

I just received my new Canon Xsi and sell of my Olympus E-500 in this week. I really like the cameras features of olympus because it also a ease of use, and in almost every condition I shoot under the E-500 and all other features etc. I shoot under the E-500 seems to take sharper pictures and get better exposures. I mostly shoot really wide landscapes and want edge to edge sharpness with a lot Depth of field. I am putting this because i wanted to have your opinion about the Canon XSI camera, Please share with me,Thanks.

Re: Need opinion on Canon xsi over Olympus E-500

Canon’s EOS 450D – or Digital Rebel XSi is highly popular among the Photographer, Olympus EVOLT E-500 is a new entry-level digital SLR, In the predictable category is the inevitable increase in resolution from 10.1 to 12.2 Megapixels. The E-500 has a much more traditional design than the E-300, which is a good thing in my opinion, as I was not a fan of the body design of the E-300.This gives the new model around 20% more pixels in total, but with an actual image size of 4272x2848 pixels versus the 3888x2592 pixels of its predecessor, you’re actually only getting a modest increase of approximately 10% in each axis.

Resolution will have no effect on sharpness. Sensor size can have an effect on DOF with a given lens though. With the shape of the E500, Olympus have returned to a more traditional design. Olympus has several for you to choose from, ranging from fisheye to macro to super telephoto. There's a focal length conversion ratio of 2X on the camera, which is higher than on other D-SLRs. The "flat top" of the E-300 has been replaced by the more conventional hump where the flash and hot shoe are located. An added advantage of this is that the pop-up flash now sits even higher making it still more effective in reducing red-eye. Contrast-based AF allows the 450D / XSi to auto-focus in Live View without flipping down its mirror. Olympus does not include a memory card with the E-500This sounds quicker, although in practice, like Panasonic’s L10, this can actually take longer; the benefit though is not losing the image, nor sounding like you’ve taken a shot.

Speaking of lenses, the EOS 450D / Rebel XSi is optionally bundled with the recently launched EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens. Olympus seems better constructed has an easier to use menu with a lot more options. This has the same range as the previous standard kit lens, but now includes Image Stabilisation to combat camera shake. I've tried all the metering modes, AE lock, bracketing different combos of f-stop and shutter speed and finally resorted to a GND filter which seemed to help the problem. The E-500 is a 14-45mm and the Canon the 18-55mm IS. The 18-55 just doesn't seem as sharp at any f-stop or focal length, especially at infinity and around the edges where it is noticeably soft.