Thread: Do ipod touch have GPS capability ?

Do ipod touch have GPS capability ?

Do ipods having the gps feature? Soon i'll but the ipod touch, does i'll get the gps feature in that? I don't know which model i'll get, i don't have much knowledge about ipods and all. If someone can clear my this doubt then it would be really nice.

Re: Do ipod touch have GPS capability ?

I don't know if its already made, but its seems soon ipods will surly have gps iGPS360: GPS add-on module for iPhone and iPod

Read the following news quote from tomsguide.com :

iPhone, iPod Touch Get GPS-like Capability

Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced major software updates for its iPhone and iPod Touch devices. iPhone users now can send SMS messages to multiple people and iPod Touch users get access to several applications that have been available on the iPhone: Mail, maps, stock quotes, notes and weather reports. Most significantly, however, is the addition of a GPS-like positioning feature: Rather than using a GPS receiver, Apple consulted with Google and Skyhook Wireless to come up with a technology that uses triangular Wi-Fi and cellular beacon layouts to determine the location of a device. iPhone users will be able to take advantage of the new feature through the free iPhone software upgrade 1.1.3, while people who already have purchased an iPod Touch will have to shell out an extra $20 for the upgrade. All new iPod Touch devices will come with the positioning feature without extra cost.
    So Apple charging for add-ons like other companies. I don't know how to get his software upgrade, i think you should visit App store.

No ipod touch doesn't have the GPS chip, ipod uses computer and wifi signal to find your location. The procedure Apple uses to develop wifi-based locations , usually the sends trucks all over the country with wifi detecors, and they goes to every street and when they discovers a wifi node they mark it down along with it's GPS location (from their truck). It gets entered into their database, and when you ask for location on the Touch it compares the wifi nodes it can find with the ones that service knows the location of.