Thread: How to connect fax machine with digital phone line

How to connect fax machine with digital phone line

hello friends,

I have bought a fax machine to send and receive the documents easily to/from my clients. I need to know how to connect the fax machine with the digital phone line. Can anybody please suggest me regarding this.... thanks

Re: How to connect fax machine with digital phone line

hey Anas,
    I have sent and received plenty of documents using my fax machine with digital phone service and never had an issue. The fax signal is just an analog signal sent over a VOIP line, they have nothing to do with eachother. Just plug it in the phone jack and fax away.

Fax machines are considered out-dated now-a-days and unnecessarily expensive. If you want to save some money, you need to fax in a modem way.
    You can send documents via email, if you need to send a document that's not on your computer, scan it with a scanner or all-in-one printer or take a picture of it with a digital camera).

A fax machine works by :
    - scanning a document into a digital image
    - modulating the image into sound
    - connecting to another fax machine across a telephone network
    - sending the modulated data as machine-readable sound

Since this process requires a connection to PSTN (public-switched telephone network), a fax machine should have some connection to a telephone line. This connection is generally accomplished by plugging a dedicated telephone line into the fax machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Anas View Post
    hello friends,

I have bought a fax machine to send and receive the documents easily to/from my clients. I need to know how to connect the fax machine with the digital phone line. Can anybody please suggest me regarding this.... thanks
    I have a HP Officejet 6310- after much much angst, I found out by pressing the menu button on the actual machine, I turned off the ECM. THen I went to the speed /baud and dropped it down to 9600.
    I then sent a test fax to HP test service at 1-888-473-2963 and it worked!!!!I received a fax back from them. I just obtained CHarter internet, phone & cable few weeks ago and when someone tried to fax me, it would start and then give me a "fax failed" message. Hope this helps

A 'Fax Scan Failed' message displays on the computer when using HP Solution Center to fax a document from the automatic document feeder (ADF) or the scanner glass. Check this Link : Fax Scan Failed